1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Used GK MB115 vs. GK 400RB combos...?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bthebass, Jan 7, 2014.

1. bthebass

bthebass Supporting Member

So, I've been searching for a decent sized combo, at a resonable price, and a couple good looking deals turned up.

#1 GK MB115
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GK-MB115-1x15-BASS-COMBO-109697250-i3558889.gc

#2 GK RB400 2x10 (looks like IV?)
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GK-400RB-BASS-COMBO-109768243-i3565310.gc

both $299 from GC. Wondering about GC for internet purchases and shipped to different city (Madison, WI), pitfalls, experience, etc. I could call them, but I don't even like calling my own GC which is a mile from my house, what can they really tell me other than "it looks great and works?" Thanks for any help and thoughts on which amp has the most potential are welcome!
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Personal opinion #2 :)
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Me too. Solid piece of gear.
  4. Journey55

Journey55

I vote #2 as well, mine's great but you could probably talk them down a bit (I got mine at GC for like $250)
  5. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I'd get the 115. That 210 is a hefty bugger.
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I have the MB115 with matched MB115 powered cab...kicks major booty.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

The 210 probably has more over all output than the 115 alone but... Probably not enough to make a huge difference. The RB amps seem to be more rugged but my mb112 has not been a problem. Overall, for my uses the mb115 would be the pick due to age, form factor, tone - I like the 15 grunt... though I gig 10's and 12's and 15's depending on the setting. And weight... Those old GK combo amp's weigh a ton... Of course they were built like tanks... Flip, flop... So sue me. I'd go new mb115...

Fwiw, my first and second pro tools rigs were purchased used through GC. I had the host computers but bought the interfaces and other associated stuff. Digi 002 rack and Digi 002 console. The interfaces both came from Denver,CO Guitar Center stores and were shipped to one about an hour away from me. Must have been a guy in Denver who was a model ahead of me in the upgrade cycle... one reason I don't do Pro Tolls anymore... Those transactions worked well. I actually had a GC rep in the local store that found the gear and arranged it all. I stopped buiing recording gearbfrom them when he left... Far as I'm concerned, it was easy and I was not obligated to purchase if the stuff arrived trashed. Easy, Peasy ...
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The 400/210 combo will be heavy, but the tilt-back feature is really nice.
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm. I love my MB115 combo - but, I'd probably snatch up the RB400 head.

Correction: I just clicked on the link - and I'd get the MB115.
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski

The 2x10 is too heavy for me to schlep, sound notwithstanding.

I've bought a used GK MB200 and a used Epi Allen Woody online from GC. No issues at all. As has been said above, it's a pretty risk-free proposition, esp when you ship to store.
  11. bthebass

OK, thks for all the input guys, I'm looking at getting the 1-15.
  12. bthebass

OK, I found a GK MB115 at a GC in Florida for $249, it's on it's way...:bassist: