Used Korean Squier Bass or something else?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svtown, Jan 10, 2014.

1. svtown

svtown

Hi - I'm a guitar player looking to get a bass and a shop near me has a used 1989 Squier II Korean P-Bass for ~$275 (http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/41370/index.php).

Does anyone know how this used P-Bass might compare to a new Squier Affinity or something like a Squier Vintage Modified / Classic Vibe?

Thanks!
  2. amosjones

amosjones

I have a 1991 Made in Korea Squire by Fender I purchased used and it is an awesome guitar. I can't say how it would compare to the others mentioned.
  3. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Squier VM would be much nicer IMO. Those tuners are bottom of the barrel and the Squier VM are actually pretty nice basses.
  4. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

A new VM/CV would be a better built instrument.

But the MiK Squier II has a definite 'cool points' factor, and tuners/pickups/electronics can always be replaced.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doctor_K

Doctor_K

That is not a $275 dollar bass. I have a MIK Squier II from somewhere around 89. The necks on those are usually really good, those typically have a laminated or plywood body. The one pictured looks well preserved, but not for that price.
  7. svtown

svtown

Thanks, I'll probably pass on it for now. Maybe I'll try and see what a new Squier is like vs. a Fender MIM Standard.
  8. nolageek

nolageek Supporting Member

I have a MIK Squier Jazz from '93 and it has a large fender logo and small Squier logo. I was under the impression that they didn't swap the sizes until at least later than '93ish.

[​IMG]
  9. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I paid about $150 for a 1997 Korean Squier P-bass a few years ago. The tuners weren't great, so I replaced them. It's a good sounding bass, and the only thing I don't like about it now is that the body is made of heavy plywood.
  10. Ironbar

Ironbar

My thoughts exactly. Why would you pay $275.00 for a used Squier when you can get a brand spanking new one for about $250.00, and it's an awesome bass?!