Used MIM Fender Jazz Bass Question..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzbassguy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Hey guys - a question - -

I snagged this used '02 MIM Fender Standard Jazz Bass at GC last week for $300 (no case) - and was just wondering if that is more or less the going rate for one of these.. I know the new ones are around $600. The sales guy wouldn't deal at all, but I wanted the bass, so I finally gave up trying to talk him down..

(I won't be able to take it home til the 30-day GC "Police Hold" period is over, though.)

It played and sounded really good, and I loved the thin Jazz neck. Action was just where I like it. Light weight on this one, too. Everything seemed to be in good shape on her - other than a few dings here and there - nothing too serious.. It wasn't a case queen, though - it definitely has been played. Frets were in good shape, however.

As I said, everything seems to be in good working order except for missing knobs (which they said they would replace by the time I picked it up.) Evidently some jerk stole the knobs off of it while it was hanging up there on the wall...

Anyway, I was just wondering if $300 (plus tax) was a decent price for an early 2000's used MIM Jazz Bass in good condition. I probably could get one of these somewhere a little cheaper, but who knows when - and as I said, I really liked this particular one, so I went ahead and paid the $300.

Thanks for any info or opinions on the bass or the price! Cell pics below - -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

that price seems about right. def make them give u knobs though!
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

You done good. Make sure the knobs they provide are the correct ones.
  4. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Ha! Yep, I will do that, for sure!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... the fact that you had it in hand and evaluated it, justifies the price you paid ... you may have got one a little less, or one with a bag, etc online, but who knows what you have found once you received it .. neck alignment looks good on this one, it can be an issue on these, and you also should be fine in that 2002 should have the conventional longer bridge/shorter neck pup ... I have found GC never failed to toss in a set of strings, cable, etc when they wouldn't budge on price ... congrats, and enjoy it, you did fine ... if it works for you, thats all that matters ... might want to make sure the truss rod is not maxxed and working though, another common issue on earlier MIM Standard J's ...
  7. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

I recently paid $350 for a similar fretless, and I see fretted MIM's going for $300 all the time on GC's used site, sometimes as low as $250 for beat up offerings. Seems to be about right on par if you like what you tried out - sure looks nice. Plus, if you change your mind in the next month, you can always take it back!
  8. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks, so $300 sounds about right then I guess.

Good point on the knobs, also.. Am I correct in assuming then that MIM and MIA Jazz Bass knobs are in fact different sizes? Metric vs US I guess.

GC said they would replace the knobs, but I'm not sure if they meant they will put them on before I pick the bass up, or if they will just hand the knobs to me in the package. But now I will ask them if they are the correct ones for this MIM Jazz.

Thanks for the heads up.
  9. johnson79

johnson79

Sometimes you'll find one on Craigslist for less, but $300 is fair. Looks nice!
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Exactly! $300 WITH knobs. $250 without. ^_^

That said, my local store has a couple lefty MIM Fenders going for $199. I'm tempted to pick one up & flip it for right-handed play. :D
  11. pedroims

pedroims

Price is fair but the most important thing is that seems like you really like THAT particular bass so enjoy it.
  12. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks for the tips, tjh - all good info here!

Thanks for the (positive) evaluation on the neck alignment. And yes, it does appear that this one has the slightly shorter neck pup. Speaking of the pups, I thought they sounded really good. I'm assuming they're stock, but who knows?..

Yes, I loved the feel of this one - it just felt like "the one". I played it for close to half an hour and loved the way it played and sounded.

I tried to give it the once-over pretty good, and all appeared fine, but that's a good idea on checking the truss rod - I hadn't thought of that..

I might ask them to throw in some strings or whatever, as you suggest, since they wouldn't budge on price - when I pick it up..

By the way, I already have a fairly new Roadrunner bass case that I can use, so I wasn't too worried about the no case/gig bag.
  13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

The knobs will fit both MIM & MIA. They're the black plastic set with the 2 vol knob being larger than the single tone knob.
  14. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Glad to know I paid more or less the going rate. And yes, I sure did like this one - it really spoke to me. I bonded with it immediately! You know how it is when that happens!

And as you said, I do have 30 days to return it if need be, but I imagine I'll be hanging on to this one if all checks out..
  15. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

I gave $280 for my '05 with gig bag (private sale), but I would have gone $300. You did good. Nice bass BTW.

Edit: Mine was in mint condition, as yours seems to be.
  16. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks, johnson79. Yeah, it has definitely been played, but that just tells me that somebody liked it..

It's not pristine, and does have a few dings and knicks, but as I said, nothing too serious - and basically, it looks pretty good.
  17. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Yep - this one really 'spoke' to me, as I said earlier - Hard to explain, but I'm sure you know what I mean. Just felt right, and sounded and played great. I knew I had to get it.
  18. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Well, I wouldn't call it mint, but it is in pretty good shape.

There are a few dings on the lower bout near the knobs, that have been touched up with black paint (seems well done), and a few dings here and there, but nothing too bad.

When I get it home, I'll take some good photos of it and post 'em up!

You can kind of see the touched-up dings (two) here in this pic - lower right bout..

[​IMG]
  19. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Thanks, tangent! That is exactly what I wanted to know!
  20. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Yes, $300 +/- 10% is the going rate for used MIM Fender basses. Knobs are cheap on eBay (under $10). You got a fair deal, and you can rest easy tonight without question.
  21. kcole4001

kcole4001

Light weight, plays and sounds nice, set up how you like it, and a decent price.
    As long as you like it, I'd say it's a pretty good score.

Slap some knobs on her and you're in business.
    They likely have a big box of knobs and assorted junk somewhere, so it shouldn't be an issue to have a set put on before you buy.