1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Used P-Basses: '95 MIM Fender, '00 Squier, Fury P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svtown, Jan 12, 2014.

1. svtown

svtown

Any thoughts on these basses? Just looking for something to get started with. They're all local to me:

'95 MIM P-Bass for $350 SN: MN5125590
    https://starvingmusician.com/cart/g...1_2538/mexi-p-bass-rbns-eg-blue-p-254940.html

Peavey Fury P for $200, SN: 03275795
    https://starvingmusician.com/cart/g...s-c-2511_2538/fury-p-bass-black-p-257692.html

'00 Squier for $100, SN: IC001019631
    https://starvingmusician.com/cart/g...c-2511_2538/affinity-p-bass-blk-p-257958.html

Of course, there's always the $300 starter pack down at the local GC, too.

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Peavey Fury's are great basses, as are all older USA peaveys. 200 seemed a little high to me, but that color combo is rare (and very cool) so i figure thats a decent price. I would expect it to be better than the MIM, the Squier, and any starter pack bass.

3. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

That Peavey version, the second generation Fury, is the nicest overall in terms of finish hardware and overall quality. It is well worth $200 IMHO, more so than the later cheaper Furys which are great basses in their own rite. I've never been happier with a P bass than with mine YMMV, of course

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yeah, those prices are a bit high - you can do much better at GC's used gear pages... Out of those 3 choices, I'd go MIM Fender, although the Peaveys are no slouches, either...

- georgestrings

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

a 19 year old fender for $350? the quality of the standards has gone up a lot since then, and about a month ago i got a 2 year old MIM fender for that price. also, $100 for a 14 year old Squier Affinity seems high to me too, new ones are only $180. i don't have much experience with those Peaveys though, so i can't help ya there.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I am a big fan of the Fury basses - I have 3 of them. The neck is a little thinner than any Fender P or J (which I like) and the sound has a little more thickness than a standard P (which I like also). They are really well made and will last forever. You will not need to upgrade for a long time, if at all. It will also hold its value.

You can also check your local Craigslist. Here in L.A. I would expect to pay around $250-300 for a nice MIM Fender, $100-125 for a Squier and less for an affinity.

8. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I have 3 p basses...a Peavey USA fury, a Peavey made in Korea, and I just got an SX for Christmas...it's the fancier model with the inlays. The SX was purchased new, the other 2 used.
    The MIK Peavey is brighter than the other 2. The USA Fury and SX sound almost identical to each other and the build quality is similar among all 3 basses.
    Any would be a great choice as would a Squier CV or VM bass.
    If you are only interested in one of them you listed, try to talk them down. The Fury for about 150, the Fender for 300, or the Affinity for 90. Basically 1/2 of what a new one would go for.

9. svtown

svtown

Yeah, I'll check these out in person but I do wish there were more options!

10. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

You probably do have more options....if there is a guitar center near you, you can check out the Squier VM or CV series, they usually have one. Mine also usually has at least one used Fender or Peavey too. And online, you have a ton of options with good return policies.

11. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I have a '95 MIM which I Converted to a PJ. I is a very good bass and better than many MIM versions I have played since.

12. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of older USA Peavey Fury's. I have two.
    I agree that I haven't seen that color combination. Almost all the ones I've seen have maple fretboards. If it is original and in nice shape, $200 is a very fair price IMO.

13. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

The fender is way overpriced.

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I would opt for the MIM Fender, but to be honest with you, price-wise, you can probably go $50 less pretty easily and for a newer model. Even GC has about 3 or 4 MIM Fender Pbasses for $274. If you add shipping (to your door) and tax, it still comes out to $300. There are better deals on CL if you look hard enough. I bought my 2007 5 string MIM Fender Jazz in pristine condition for $160. As some have mentioned, Peavey Fury bases aren't bad either, It comes to the question of what feels better for you- necks are pretty good on those. Price is about $50 more at that store than basses I've seen on CL. So it seems like that store's mark ups are $50 on the high side.

Here's one for example:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-P-BASS-MADE-IN-MEXICO-109804371-i3587391.gc

or even a blacktop P-bass for $299 if you want humbucker pickups.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i3594031.gc

15. svtown

svtown

I always see people saying to play something in person before you buy it, which is why I was looking for local stuff, but the GC links you posted are pretty good. Thanks!

16. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

$200 for the Stealth Fury is not bad at all. I'd pick it any day over a MIM P.

17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

no problem... one thing I like about GC (and no, I don't work there or affiliated in any way)... you have 30 days to try the bass and return it to any GC store if you don't like it (you don't have to mail it back). I do recommend trying the same model bass if possible to see if the neck, sound, suits your needs. If you do go the GC route, I would call that local store and they can give you an assessment of the condition of the bass, neck, etc so you'll have a pretty fair idea of the overall condition of your purchase beforehand. I have bought 20+ basses over the phone on GC this way with zero problems to date.

18. bh2

bh2

I'd have to go for the Fender... of course play it first, but if it plays well and sounds good...

I bought a 2002 model of the bay for £250 - about $400, turned out to be a peach.

19. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

2002 was a decent era for MIM, 1995 was not. A current MIM for what the OP was quoting is ok, I would not want a '95. A '95 Fury would eat a '95 MIM for lunch, and twice on Sunday.