1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

uses for old bass strings

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by waflman, Feb 20, 2013.

1. waflman

waflman

When you change to a new set of strings, you may not have to throw the old ones away. Here's some uses I've found for old bass/guitar strings:

-Jewelry, i have a necklace with bass string segments and beads wrapped around it, the main wire is the core of a string. The artist also makes bracelets and ear rings, typically using guitar strings.
    -I made an awesome cat toy by wrapping a small segment of pipe cleaner through the ring at the end. Also works fine on it's own as would any other string, but be sure to hold it by the string end and use the end with the ring outward because the string end can be pointy...
    -Picture frame wire. I have a picture hanging on my wall, i used a bass string instead of hanger wire on the back of the frame. Works great.

Have any of yall found other interesting uses for old strings?
  2. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Pipe cleaner? :p
  3. spaz21387

spaz21387

my band mate always asks for the cuttings off new bass strings to clean his pipes when they get clogged up.
  4. Nagrom

Nagrom

I gig with mine
  5. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses Supporting Member

My fiance uses them to make hanging baskets for her Dracula centrinis, D. ineaqualis and D. vampira.
  6. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

I use the excess end wire of new strings as uh...pipe cleaner. Low E works very well, and there's usually enough to curl into a finger loop, like the cleaners sold in smoke shops.
  7. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Hanging my neighbors cat?
  9. Duckwater

Duckwater

I play them until they break or I can afford new ones. In the case that I have extra non-broken strings, I clean and store them for when I need one.
  10. REME7178

REME7178

I use my old bass strings to make a garrote. Then I hide in the park and catch unsuspecting women and their small dogs that aren't paying attention. E or B string between two 6" pieces of thick rubber hose work the best. I also like to ziptie a bunch of short pieces together and make a brush to clean pots, pans, and the BBQ grill in the park after I get done using the garrote.
  11. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

I have once opened a clogged bathroom drain with a E string, I think it was Rotosound Swing Bass :bassist:
  12. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

If you know any wise guys ? :)
  13. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

You can change bass strings?
  14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Balls of yarn for ceramic cat sculptures?
  15. Mr L

Mr L

I keep one by my bed to use as a whip in case of emergency.
  16. deepBassie

deepBassie

Yes. I cut off the little round "donuts" (the part that wedges into the bridge) from the end of the bass strings and line them up on a wire. Eventually I will collect enough to make a bracelet of little metal bass donuts (I'm sure there's a technical term for them). I've been working on one bracelet for about two years. I change strings every 3-4 months. I figure it will be complete in another year or so.
  17. deepBassie

deepBassie

...and yes, they are wonderful for cleaning pipes. The round wound strings, anyways.
  18. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

My friend, it seems as though you have seen way too many episodes of "Criminal Minds"!

Very funny comment. I really did lol..
  19. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

My Dad connected fishing swivel clips not sure what it's called to the neck ends & they would clip together onto the ball ends. He used them for central vacuum parts, elbows, nipples etc. I still have them for the occasional central vacuum install.
  20. P Town

P Town Guest

I'm savin' mine up until I get enough to knit a 1967 Volkswagen out of them.