1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Using 2 basses for the set - Bassbnone for switching?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scowboy, Feb 15, 2014.

1. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Hi,

We've just added a song which I think must be played with a p-bass and a pick. I did it at practice the other night and my band mates all agreed. The rest of the time I play my Roscoe Century 5 or on occasion my active bass with Jazz pickups. I'm good with playing the p more but it's on another planet tonal planet from my Roscoe (duh) let alone using a pick with it.

I've never needed or had to use two instuments and am trying to work out how to deal with the EQ and level differences. This is the reason for my post. It may belong in the amps section but I'm looking for a pedal solution to this matter.

So in my signal chain I'm always using an Aguilar Tonehammer or Eden Navigator depending on my mood. The Nav is my favorite preamp and a lot of the time it's the Nav and a tuner into an amp or IEM's.

With that said, I'm aware of the Bassbone, EBS Micro II and Basswitch. I like the price of the Bassbone and it's not so redundant with the two premamps I already have and like.

Am I overlooking something like a EQ pedal which could be applied for p-bass and then turned of when using the Roscoe? The Source Audio, Empress parametric and MXR all look like good alternatives. Even the Ashdown pedal might work. I've just got to be able to change tone settings on the fly. Heck the Eden WT-1205's are so cheap these days I'm also thinking about that and just using the pre out when using IEM's.

Comments please.

2. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I bought the Bassbone for exactly that reason. I originally bought it switch from a Stingray to an EUB. On gigs where I don't change instruments, I use the 2nd channel for a different eq setting.

3. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

If you don't want to use a preamp ( EBS , Bassbones , etc.. ) I tell you that I've seen some bass players use the Soundblox Programable EQ for playing with different instruments in the same set/gig. They tweak the EQ and the output level to match with every different bass they play. This pedal allows you to save 4 different presets.

In the past I used a Boss A/B pedal with two active basses plugged in , and just one wire to the front of the amp. Transparent , slent and fast instrument switching... but that was my solution to my particular issue..

I've seen a homemade switcher/selector with 3 inputs / 3 level knobs and 3 toggle switches to mute/unmute inputs..

The possibilities are endless...

4. gillento

gillento

The Bassbone DOES have all the features, BUT its eq points are not well suited for decent sound sculpting and its "clean" sound is not that clean at all.
    I had the same challenge you are facing now for years and I tried almost every preamp pedal until I found the RMI Basswitch. The "clean" channel is perfectly/straight clean and the eq'ed channel has a very precise 4 band eq with semi parameric low mids and high mids. I think especially these are crucial to precise sound sculpting.
    Anyway, I do not regret spending my hard earned Euros on the Basswitch (not even talking about the use I have for the 2 effect loops)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. edpal

edpal Banned

How about an A/b stomper and an EQ pedal?. Figure out which bass you want to be able to tweak and put the EQ pedal in it's signal path. It sounded like your main concern was tweaking the one of the basses more than the other. I may have misunderstood..:cool:

7. Modulator

Modulator

I love the Bassbone, but keep in mind its 15v power requirement. There aren't, a lot of economical power supplies that do 15v if you're putting it on a pedalboard. As far as "clean" goes, if the previous poster is talking about the bypass then I would agree that it does seem to impart some of its own sound, but " clean" usually refers to the lack of drive in the sound and it's definitely a clean pedal .

8. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

I think the Bassbone would work perfectly for what you want to do. Use Channel b for your Roscoes without any tone sculpting and channel a for the Pbass and run it flat with a little boost. The Bassbone does have its own voicing which met be a turnoff if it colors your Roscoe tone to much. It's worth checking out. Also the programmable EQ by Source Audio is a great option.

9. scowboy

That programmable EQ from source audio does look to be the bomb for this set up.

10. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster

Yes. I use the SA programmable EQ to match the output levels on three basses using the LEDs on my MXR M87 compressor as a sort of "output meter".

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have never had a problem with what you are describing out of the over 10 years that I've been using my Bassbone.

And sometimes I use up to 4 - 5 different basses live from fretted to fretless, to sub contra to 12 and 15 string triple course basses. And I recently got the Source Audio programmable eq for the purpose of helping me out with so many basses live with such a varied tonal range.

Radial endorser

Sourse Audio endorser.

12. phatbass

phatbass

Boss LS-2 will allow you to use up to 3 instruments into 1 amp, and give you level controls to cut or boost 2 of them. It also does a bunch of other signal routing stuff.

It's a Boss, so it's reliable as a hammer, and if you get one off eBay at a decent price, if you decide you hate it you'll always get your money back.

13. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

IMO, this might be more trouble than it's worth for 1 song.

14. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Loved and used the bassbone for many years. For one song I'd be tempted to try an eq pedal...

15. scowboy

I ended up getting a used MXR M-108 for pretty short money and dropping it on my uber-minimal pedal board. So far it has worked out as desired. To this point it was the path of least resistance. It's a very effective EQ pedal for my application.

16. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

One of the posters in the Roscoe thread mentioned being able to cop a fairly convincing P-Bass tone by favoring the neck pickup and rolling back the treble and bass.

The sound you want may already be available with what you've got.

Of course, if you are just looking to rationalise another bit of gear (hey, it happens...) don't let me stop you ;-)

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

This.

I had a bassbone for a couple of years and really like it, and it will do what you want well, but I got GAS for other stuff and sold it. The LS-2 will do it too for alot less, but it doesnt have any EQ options, only levels, but thats a thing I like about it. I use mine to switch between my Ric and active basses like my G&L L2500 or Steinberger and it works great.

18. scowboy

I was just messing around with that last night while trying to learn some new songs. The Roscoe has such far superior sustain that while totally sounds very similar is actually quite different, at least for my hack job playing.

19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Fretwrap?
    http://www.gruvgear.com/fretwraps

20. gpx1200

gpx1200

you could use a sansamp bass driver delux, it has 2 inputs with separate switchable channels for 2 basses with 3 programmable presets for each input

21. scowboy