using a 1 x 15'' cab ánd a 6 x 10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Alright, quick question from a good buddy of mine, who plays 6 and 7 string basses in a Death Metal band.

His bandmates think that he should get a 1 x 15'' cab on top of his 6 x 10'' cab, since he uses his Low B string and F# strings a lot.

The thing is, that he is afraid that the guitars will be overwhelmed with that extra 1 x 15'' inch, cause of the extra lowness that it gives.

Is it a good idea to get a 1 x 15'' cab or should he stick at the 6 x 10'' cab?

2. natw42

natw42 Gold Supporting Member

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

you are basing your thinking on a myth. A larger cone has no influence on how many lows it is able to give. Adding a 15 to a 6x10 will certainly limit the 6x10 and will eventually lead to the 1x15s demise.

4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

That 6x10 will totally obliterate any 1x15, because it has much higher overall displacement - there is just plain more speaker there. If you put a 1x15 with a 6x10, you will never hear it, including when it shreds itself because of the ridiculous power it's trying to take in order to keep up with the (comparatively) monster 6x10. It makes perfect sense once you divorce yourself of the driver size = tonality myth.
    What your buddy could do is sell the 6x10, get some kind of active crossover, get a big subwoofer (maybe a big ol' 18) and then a 2x12 or 4x10 mid/high cab. Yes, that's all he'll need up top. This, however, is an elaborate solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.
    There are only two explanations that appear to me for your buddy needing more lows from his setup - 1. His cab isn't all that great. In this case, ditch it for a nice Bergantino or Mesa or any one of dozens of other reputable big cabs. 2. The rest of the band is stomping all over the bass frequencies. Part of getting a tight, good sounding band is making sure every instrument has a sort of 'home' in the frequency spectrum. If the guitars are blasting a bunch of sub 100Hz, the bass is going to fight with them and just create a bunch of mush, no matter how loud it is. What matters is the cohesive tone of the band, not each individual player's bedroom tone. I set my bass tone to sit right on top of the kick, which means I don't have a lot of low lows going. Then my guitarists set their tones to sit on top of mine. The result? Everyone can be heard at all times, regardless of overall volume.
    This long-winded response was brought to you by caffeine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Overwhelmed :D

Considering that a single 15 only has about the same acoustic output of a 2X10, it is very laughable that adding it will make his rig overwhelming.

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

8. iualum

iualum

What he said.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Worst idea ever. Have your "friend" read the sticies and faq's on this site. Then, he'll (maybe) understand how to eq his amp properly. Have him try cutting the lows, and boosting his mids. Just try it.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Are you putting us on? Seriously, are you? :eyebrow:

MM

11. makohund

makohund

If not joking...

Get a gigantic sub. Dual 3015LFs or something like that. Or BFM tuba.
    Get a giant two channel power amp with DSP.
    Send 100Hz (or something around there) to the 610.
    Send everything under that to the sub.

Ridiculous, but only slightly less so than the original idea, I think. :)

12. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I’m assuming it’s just a kid, but still…

Scary. :)

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The size of the speaker doesn't matter even a little when it comes to low end response.

14. Sartori

Sartori

His bandmates are idiots.

The 1x15 will add almost no noticeable volume, and won't be able to keep up with the 6x10 in power handling.

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Careful, some kiddies spit the dummy if you don't entertain their shenanigans.

As cunning plans go the 15 + 6x10 is up there with the Bay of Pigs.

16. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Good to know. So, my professor of electro-acoustics was wrong. I always suspect him of being a little on weirdo side.....:meh:

17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It only matters to the amount of lows you can have from one unit.

18. Thomas Kievit

No I'm not :p We aren't kids either, I just ask a question to help somebody out. I'm not so well-known with those kind of things so I was hoping to get some information here. Luckily other people like to share their story here ;)

Back to the thread : Thank you all kindly for your input :) The 6 x 10 he is using is a Ashdown ABM 610 with a Ashdown Spyder 550 head.

Not so sure about the settings he is using, so I can't tell anything about that.

Perhaps I think it's the best if he just keeps it with the 6 x 10. Remember, it wasn't him but his band mates that wanted an extra 1 x 15'' cab ;)

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

And the bandmates are totally off. It's a terrible idea to do that.

20. Thomas Kievit

@ RickenBoogie

Thanks for the input. Wasn't so sure about the idea either ;)

21. Mykk

Mykk

These folks are correct.

I use a 2x15 along side of my 8x10. The 2x15 is actually brighter with more mids than my 8x10.

If you're looking for thunderous lows from the bass player, consider using the 6x10 as a full range with one of these:

[​IMG]

a self powered club subwoofer 18" with built in crossover.

I used one of these next to my rig for a while, sounded great. We also ran a small mixer and fed the mic'd kickdrum to it in rehearsals.