1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

using a 2x10 cab as only cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by I_LIEK_BASE, Feb 14, 2013.

1. I_LIEK_BASE

I_LIEK_BASE

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the TB (this is my first post, so bear with me). I'm interested in getting a 2x10 cabinet to go with my 300 watt Behringer head. I am looking for a lighter-weight alternative to my 1x15 for gigs and practices (I'm in several bands that each have their own practice space) and I was hoping a 2x10 would do the trick, but every set-up I see with a 2x10 is using it on top of a 1x15 or 18.
    My question is, generally, can a 2x10 push enough air on its own to fill a medium-sized room? Am I gonna get an even distribution of high and low end without a bigger speaker below? What are some suggestions, brand-wise, for 2x10's?
    Thanks.

2. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

An Acme 2x10 is all I've ever needed. (Going into the P.A. direct through the head, usually.)

3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

A 2x10 that will have enough bottom end will not be saving you any weight over your 1x15. The cab enclosure will be big, and you'll have two magnets instead of one, all contributing to weight. IMO if you want lighter weight only, look into a neo 15 speaker.

4. rogypop

rogypop

For the price of a quality 210 you should really consider buying/building yourself a fearful 12/6. The lightest and reasonably small single cab solution which will blow out of the water most 210 or 115 i can think of.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cavedweller

cavedweller

I run a lmiii through a carvin brx210 and honestly,it handles about any venue I play. I have another matching cab and use it occasionally for big stages or outdoor stuff, but not often.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

I use an Avatar Neo 2 x 10 w/GB 6.0 head. 600w @4oh for gigs. I run a DI from the amp to the board & PA, so the cabinet is pretty much my on stage monitor. For outdoor gigs we add pair of subs and run them off the PA as well. This set up works great for me. Not much gear for me to lug around.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I guess it can depend on the cab. I use a 2x10 Mesa/Boogie wedge with very small volume (probably 1/2 the volume of other 2x10's I've owned) with a medium volume band that has a drummer, keys, & vocals and have never had an issue. My bass amps are all bad boys though and I dial them in just right.

I feel ya though! It seems like it's easy to fill up your schedule with a lot of different gigs if you have the time for it and I hate transporting cabs to every practice. I am starting to favor the smaller cabs these days like a lot of the old guys around here.

If you want to go small, I like neo 1x12's more than 2x10's. My Mesa PH is a beast for it's size. I use it live too. Good enough for all my non-metal gigs.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Yes.

300 solid state watts isn't going to make eardrums bleed, but paired with a good 210, you should be able to playa medium room.

If you play death metal with 2 stack wielding 7 string guitarists, I would change that to no.

I personally gig a 210 cab for 80% of my gigs.

10. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

I use my Carvin BRX 10.2 210 cab for just about everything. I too have a 2nd one that I use only rarely. You do need an amp that can go down to a 2ohm load to run both the 4ohm cabs, which is why I have an SWR 350 redface...

I think when it comes to 210 cabs you have to be careful with which type and brand. I've always liked the Edens, GK RBH, only the BRX 10.2 Carvins, and the Acme's are cool but they take lot of power to run, so you need to do your homework.

Then the amp matters too, I had to modify my SWR to get the most out of it by bypassing the Aural Enhancer. So, your Behringer although 300 watts might not be the best quality 300 watts to match a high quality 210 you'll need to go solo? Also depends on your gig size?

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

If you think there's even a slight chance a 2x10 won't cut it, you should probably look at 2x12s.

12. kdogg

kdogg

To the OP, we need more info before really chiming in. For instance, what kind of music do you play, how many members in your band and what instruments are being used, do you have a p.a. or do the places you play provide one? Different situations will require different amp cab combinations.

13. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    kdogg is right but without that information I can say I have played and still play, even this weekend I will play, with a 210 on stage but it's always DI'd to the FOH. Almost have to for the rooms we play.

14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Yes, entirely dependent on genre and the rest of the band playing semisane volume. I still need earplugs to play blues rock with 15W tube guitar amp and drums. This pushes conversation to the back of a room holding 150 with plenty of energy to keep the dancefloor hopping, a nice compromise to my mind.

If your bar is within 30ft of the stage you don't want to be any louder than that to stay in the drinks sales business, imo.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Most commercial 210 bass cabs put out as much volume as most commercial 115's. And now that bass cab construction is pretty much an exact science these days, many 210's have as much low end as many 115's.

16. sratas

sratas

to the OP: yes, a good 2x10 will produce as much volume and bass as a 1 x 15, sometimes, it will get even louder and punchier, depending on design.
    According to a some great manufacturers (for example Barefaced), speakers do not have a sound, they sound in that way because they are put in a dedicated and tuned cab, well, it's not so simple, but if you search on TB you will find a ton of info, from practical to high-tech.

I use most of the time one 2 x10 with a 300 watts head and most of the the time it's much much louder than I need. On one single occasion, a big outdoor gig with no PA support but playing against a 3200 watts PA that carried voice, drums, I needed the second 2x10 to keep up and had to push them hard. This sums it all for me...if you don't play regularly high volume metal with full guitar stacks put to 11, you probably will need only one cab, volume-wise. For the tone...two cabs stacked WILL sound different, you may find to prefer the two cabs solution for tonal purposes.

If I were you, playing in SEVERAL bands with their own rehearsal space, I probably would buy a light and powerful, neo-loaded, super 12 cab and grab this one every time I have to rehearse (for example a Barefeced Midget or Compact), but it's just me...

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

For me a single 2x10 is not something that I'd try to gig with. I always use a pair in a vertical stack. Mine are Acmes. I own four but a pair does everything that I need.

18. jlepre

jlepre

Not all 2x10 cabs are created equal. I would see if you could find a USED Epifani UL210. Plenty of headroom, and about 39 pounds. I have a friend selling on on CL in NJ if you're local.

19. eriky4003

eriky4003

I've read good things about the Eden 210XLT but don't believe this will satisfy your 'lighter-weight' requirement. I just read the ads for the Eden XST which claims even better bass response than the XLT but about 8 lbs lighter.

20. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

+1

21. MyMusic

MyMusic

It can be done. But it depends on the type of music, size and of the room and how your band mates play.