1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Using a 2x10" cabinet with a Rumble 75

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by terryj47, Dec 8, 2013.

1. terryj47

terryj47

Hi everyone,
    I have a Fender Rumble 75 and it seems so "peaky" that the cabinet (or speaker?) rattles & buzzes are driving me nuts.

I'm considering pulling the chassis out and building a box for it to use with one of these.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Tolex-210-Bass-Cabinet-w-Volume-Control-for-Horn-p/mb-210.htm

Has anyone used these cabinets or other cabs from them?

This is for use as a practice amp. I find myself using my Fender Frontman 25R Guitar amp more than the Rumble. It is flat and clean at low volume of course.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. terryj47

terryj47

I'll bump this once.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Yes, you sure could! It's an 8 ohms match. The Rumble 75 is designed for an 8 ohm load. All you'd have to do is instal a 1/4" speaker output jack and you'd be good to go.

Another option is to upgrade your combo like I did. About $150 vs $200. I have no doubt whatsoever that the Eminence Basslite Neo S2012 sounds better.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/upgrading-fender-rumble-75-combo-1018630/
  4. terryj47

terryj47

Thanks for this link. Great info. Glad I bumped! I'm thinking of going your way. Lining the cab and maybe some front to back bracing. I'm OK with the tone. Just the rattles and buzzing are making me a little crazy. And the bass lite will save some weight. And that's a good thing. I'll open it up this weekend. Maybe it has a bad joint.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

You're welcome terryj47, glad I could be of some help. My Rumble 75 never buzzed or rattled. The M.D.F. the cab is constructed of is quite dense and doesn't make or transfer any noise. Are you sure it's not just the grill that's come loose? Anyway good luck with your endevors! :)
  6. terryj47

terryj47

The grille (or logo) was my first thought. I took it off and it made no difference. It could be the speaker itself but it sounds like a cabinet rattle. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and explore. Maybe lining the cabinet like you did will help. Thanks again.
  7. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

My Hartke kickback 10 had a rattle in in for a little while. It was so bad I thought the cone was shot. I ordered a new cone. The rattle was still there. I lined the cabinet with another layer of polyfil batting and it has been silent ever since. I think the speaker cable was rattling and now the batting keeps it snug.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

I got the Sonic Barrier from Parts Express

http://www.parts-express.com/brand/sonic-barrier/494

I think that the 1/2" foam is all that is needed, and that the thicker composit is just overkill. Also please note that the self-adhesive is very aggressive, so aim/place accurately the first time. It worked well on the 1/2", but some additional glue (some Elmer's carpenter's wood glue that I had on hand) was required to affix the heavier/thicker foam to the MDF. You'll need three sheets to do the back and sides. I had enough to do the top/ceiling also. While that's really unnecessary, I did it anyway. You could get away with just lining the back only. Your choice.

They also have Eminence Basslite S2012's at a good price. ;)
  9. terryj47

terryj47

Thanks guys. Good info. My gut says lining the cab should help.
  10. Noot

Noot

I have played my Rumble 75 at volume 10 and not only did I not get any cabinet noises, but I didn't get any sound distortion either. It's a really great amp!
  11. Linnin

Linnin

12. terryj47

terryj47

I removed the grill and speaker. A few observations:
    1. The cabinet seems well-glued. No apparent cracks or bad joints. The case is particle board and not MDF. Not necessarily a problem.
    2. The speaker itself shows no signs of voice coil rubbing.
    3. The terminal strip that the speaker leads attach to is very loose. Glued it to the basket with super glue.
    4. There is effectively no gasket on the back of the speaker. Only a paper-thin 2-sided tape. Not stuck very well to the baffle if it is supposed to be.
    5. No lock washers on the 8 screws that attach the speaker to the baffle. They were tight enough though.
    6. I applied thin super glue to the tee-nuts to help keep them from pushing out of the particle board at reinstallation of the speaker.
    7. No foam of fiber glass insulation.

i cheaped out at bought fiber glass insulation at the Home Depot. I'll put it back together tomorrow after lining and/or stuffing the cabinet with insulation. I'm going to install the stock speaker with silicone sealant. It is possible that the rattle was the speaker against the baffle. If I opt for the basslite speaker, I will be able to remove the stock speaker and scrape it off.

I actually used the amp yesterday with my new Squier VM 70 J-bass w/ Rotosound flats yesterday and kept the volume at 9:00. Bass and low mod at 1:00 and hi mid and treble at 12:00. I used input 2 which is really meant for an active bass. I gotta say the tone is great. But it was anything but loud for our small living room. No rattles at that level. Using the normal input is enough to get the rattles going. I'll report back after the silicone cures and I try it. Obviously the thread title is wrong now.

If this minor rework doesn't improve things, I may opt for a 2 x 10 cabinet that I can actually try at GC or Sam Ash. Buying the Seismic cab without testing scares me. Thanks for the comments.

I'll ask for a club number only after I decide to keep it.
  13. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

I have and gig with a Seismic 210. I use it with either a GK MB200 (140W into 8 ohms) or a GK MB Fusion 500 (350W into 8 ohms). It sounds great with either head and gets plenty loud. That being said..

It's not the most efficient cabinet, nor the most durable. Like your Rumble 75, it's built on the cheap..except without tolex and t-nuts for the speaker. I will say that it has survived a year and a half of gigging and practices so far.
  14. terryj47

terryj47

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.
  15. terryj47

terryj47

Well something I did made a huge improvement. Not sure which. I stuffed the cabinet with a couple of 16 x 48 x 2" bats of unfaced fiberglass insulation. And I made a rear gasket for the speaker attached to the back of the basket with silicone. Viola. Now I here things rattling in the room but nothing but bass coming from the amp. And it just sounds less peaking. No big change in volume at different notes. G# was particularly bad. And this is at a volume level higher with more bass boost than I need for playing along with the stereo. Since I'm not gigging, this will do it, at least for now.

Going to ask for a number in the rumble club!
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Huzzah!

And welcome to the club

:hyper::cool::hyper::)