1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Using a Different Amp for each style of bass?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 3rdcurve, Oct 8, 2013.

1. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

How many of you have different amps to match up with certain basses in your collection? What are they, and why?

I Have a GB Streamliner 900. I LOVE the way it sounds with my Pbass strung with Labella flats. I couldn't be happier with that combo..............

but, I have custom Muckelroy bass that I know would sound better through a more modern sounding amp. This thing can grind and growl, but through the Streamliner that character is subdued.

I am thinking of grabbing a GK MB800 for the Modern/Grindy/Sizzle tone.

The other option is to find a head that splits the difference (SVT 7 PRO, Puma 900). But really, wouldn't I be compromising my tone a bit for both basses then?:confused:

Thoughts, comments, ideas...... GO!
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Well like basses, amps have different voices too so depending on the purpose you may want something like a GK or GB Shuttle to compliment your Streamliner.
  3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

It's great if you can afford it. I love Trace Elliot but I doubt the Trace rig would sound good with an Electric upright like an Azola or Kydd.
    I'd probably get an Acoustic Image or something for that
  4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I never did that until recently. I just got a 5 string P bass. For some reason it doesn'tlike my MesaWalkabout Scout stack. It LOVES my Magnavox era Ampeg V4 rig though. And my Fender Roscoe Beck sounds like a dream through both. But for now (until I figure out what's up with it and the Mesa) the P bass will only get worked through the V4.
  5. 3rdcurve

The shuttle max 9.2 was another amp I was considering.
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

For a couple of years I used a SVT and a 410HLF with my P bass with flats in a blues band and a Mesa M9 and Bergantino cabs for Metal/heavier newer rock. Worked/sounded great,

Now I use a Monique preamp and Berg 210 cabs for everything.
  7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I'm a fan of Genz Benz amps, and the SM 9.2 is a great amp but note the Streamliner can run pretty clean if you back off the gain.
  8. 3rdcurve

I bet that's a great rig!
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'd rather use one amp and just tweak the EQ on either it or the instrument. Makes life much simpler. I have a G-B Shuttle 6.0 and no desire to mess with other amps. I might connect it to one or both of my cabs, but that's about it.

Once you find an amp you really like, why not just use it? That works for me.
  10. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sounds like a good excuse for GAS. How many basses do you have? ;)

All I need is my Cirrus, a Bass 400 or D180, Sansamp and some sort of cab that is right for the volume of the band. I cover all styles with that and use a lot of hip thrust moves while playing.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Three different rack preamps I built to suit each bass I own, although they actually all work fine in any combination:

EUB: Solid state, active bass and mid controls, passive treble, very little baked in response curve, just a little low end rolloff in the subsonic zone. Post-EQ aux input that I can plug any of my other preamps into for a second channel.

Travis Bean Fretless w/ground wounds: solid state, Fender stack w/bright switch. Good for rock, country, reggae, etc. and especially slide bass.

Crescent Moon fretless w/ T-I flats: all-tube, optimized for active basses, transformer coupled input and output, active bass and mids, passive treble, very broadband and nearly dead flat with knobs at noon. Best for fusion jazz, funk, and R&B.

My power amp (1000+watt, Class D) has two DSP presets that are dialed for my two main speaker rigs as well. ;)
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll use any bass I own with any amp I own or am supplied on a gig, and I've been supplied with some real losers at times. I literally don't care. As long as it works and has the guns to do the gig (not hard with my low-ish stage volumes), I'll make it work and it'll sound like me. Won't always be my ideal, but I'll make it work. That said, I do prefer my amps bigtime ;) but I use them interchangeably and get basically the same sounds out of all of them.
  13. gpx1200

gpx1200

I use a gk rb700+neo410+115 for clean tones and when I want distortion I mix in my hartke ha3500+swr 2x12 that I controle the level of with a programmable sansamp
    I can add as much crunch to my sound as I want without getting mushy and loosing definition
    ill be switching all my cabs to smaller lighter fearfull cabs soon so my rig will still be smaller and lighter than most full size rigs, ill be running a 1212/6/1 with the gk and a 12/6/1 with the hartke.
  14. Passinwind

I'm totally with you as far as gigs Jim -- for me anything works. I am playing at home way more of the time these days though, and I gotta have something to obsess about...:p
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well when you design such nice sounding pres, Charlie, you can be forgiven for obsessing because it's paying off!
  16. Passinwind

Thanks man. It's a fun hobby, and pretty satisfying when I get to hear someone else make my stuff sound good.

I used to overthink what to take on gigs a lot more. One time a few years ago I was playing a real recital, with classical musicians and the local high school music teacher's jazz trio, with a killer grand piano. I brought a few different rigs to rehearsals and asked the guy which one he preferred for the gig. "The one that hits all the changes on time and in tune." Never looked at things quite the same way since then. :cool: