1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Using a Y cable with the Bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Oct 15, 2005.

1. waytoodeep03

waytoodeep03

Could I use a Y-cord connected to my bass to split two different amplifiers (one would be a behringer head to an avatar 2. would be a peavey kb 300 keyboard amp)

I really want to get the most out of that 15" keyboard amp that is just sitting around the house
  2. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Go for it, that would work.
  3. waytoodeep03

waytoodeep03

would there be any signal loss do you think?
  4. Mudbass

Mudbass

As long as both amps are in phase with each other I don't see why not.
  5. waytoodeep03

waytoodeep03

what does in phase mean? i dont want to blow anything up
  6. bobyoung53

bobyoung53

Could be some loss of volume as there may be an impedance mismatch, the old way was to run a cord from another input in the same channel to the other amp which is easier and only needs another cord, they will be in phase. Out of phase means one signal is 180 degrees out from the other, they cancel each out out, but if the source is in phase as it would be in this case you should have no problems. The most common example of out of phase is when you hook one speaker up backwards eg: neg. to pos, pos to neg. with a stereo or something like that, two speakers in the same cab etc.
  7. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Is there much difference if you use a Y-cable as opposed to an ABY box? I originally thought he was going to go through an ABY.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Go for it, you'll be fine.

Don't worry about the phase thing on a mechanical/electronic level.

What phase refers to is that if the amps put out sound waves where the waves from each amp aren't synching up properly, they can cancel each other out, meaning less volume, but no damage will happen to your gear.

I use a Y-cable into both channels of my amp when playing sometimes.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can use a Y-cable without too much danger, but you're better off using an ABY box for better impedance matching.
  10. screamingdaisy

screamingdaisy Guest

Most A/B-Y boxes that I've come across are just fancy Y connectors that can be bypassed.....
  11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Applications Engineer, QSC Audio
    Because of the buffered output that most active basses have, they generally won't suffer any degradation of performance when Y-cabled into two amp inputs. Passive basses, OTOH, have a significant output impedance and could lose signal or some high end when you do that. It might still sound okay to you, though.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I'm a reggae player.

Any high end loss is just an additional bonus. ;)
  13. RichardLEntrup

RichardLEntrup

So in the simplest of terms, you just use a Y cable with the bass into 2 amps and you'll be fine? Because I bought one of those gold splitters from RadioShack to try and use on 2 mini-amps for some loud Marching Band bass player bleacher tunes :bassist:. But when I tried plugging in 1 cable from the bass to the splitter input and 2 cables from the outputs to the 2 amps, one of the amps just overpowered the other.
  14. Forrrest

Forrrest

you probably have a volume control on both amps, use them accordingly
  15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

There are severe impedance issues when using a simple Y to connect to 2 amps.
    Most heads offer more reliable ways to achieve this. Typically, you can use the tuner output of one amp toward the input of 2nd amp.
  16. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Zombie Resurrection
  17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

8 years! Nice one.
  18. RichardLEntrup

RichardLEntrup

It turns out my DigiTech BP90 had 2 outputs on it's side, all I had to do was turn the switch to Amp, thanks anyway ;)