Using an amp on loan, buddy wants it back. Want to buy starter bass amp. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DandersonCooper, Nov 27, 2012.

1. DandersonCooper

DandersonCooper

Hey TBers,

I started playing bass no more than a few months ago (with a half year experience of playing in a band prior). Ive been practicing on my buddy's fender rumble practice amp up until now.

Being amp-less and all, I want to invest in a new practice amp for myself.

I'm not playing in a band, just some home recording and jamming with buddies.

I'm been really looking in to the TC Electronic BG250.
    I'm heading over to my local guitar store to test it out. I suppose, I sound play a variety of them as well.

If anyone has a unused amp they are willing to sell, I'd might consider buying off TB as well.

I'm sure you guys can suggest this newbie some great starter amps!

My budget is 300-400$ max.

Thanks!!
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The classifieds are at the bottom of the main page. Otherwise, what you're doing, is how you do it. Go out and play everything available to you, and buy what you like. With bass, bigger is always better, so stay away from the tiny practice combo's.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

You should be able to find something nice in that price range if you buy new or used ask about the stores return policy and are they a authorized repair facility for your amp just because they sell it doesn't mean they will service it and you don't want to be stuck sending a combo amp somewhere for repairs. good luck and keep us updated.
  4. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Try everything out. Searching classifieds is what I should have done, but I didn't know about TB then. I bought new and went with a GK MB115 and it does me very well for home practice. It will get loud enough to be heard over drums and my buddy's Marshall half stack. 4 band EQ and a direct out for recording. :cool:
  5. soulman969

soulman969

The tc BG250 and the GK MB115 are two of the best combos that are within your price range. The GK doesn't have quite the power or the features of the BG250 but it puts out a lot of that punchy GK tonality. The BG250 is capable of a little more oomph, has some nice features a GK doesn't and more of an "old school" vibe to it tonally.

I preferred the BG250 over the MB 115 but you may not. Either way you'll have a great bass amp.
  6. chadds

chadds

A used pro amp will keep its value only losing $50 to $100 per year. Consider it rent.
    New entry level stuff no one buys used because like you they want new. So you may not recoup your investment, On TB there's a lot of lightly used pro gear.
  7. DandersonCooper

DandersonCooper

Hey guys!

Thanks for the input.

I went to my local Guitar Center to try out amps from Fender, Peavey, Mesa, and TCE.
    For the size of the amp, I felt like the TCE fit my needs the best. The Peavey combos sounded a bit boxy, and the Mesa SVT stacks were waaay too much for my use.

Since they pushed their CyberMonday deal another day, I got 15% off the new product. I also learned that TC Electronics is doing a holiday rebate on selected amp purchases.

If you recently purchased a TC Electronic amp, you can cut out the UPC code and , fill out the rebate form, and send in the purchase receipt for a free TCE Corona Chorus pedal. They run about 120$ for a new one, and its a pretty fun pedal.

The amp should be shipped to my abode, in a few days. pumped!

thanks!

Dan

Heres the link to the rebate : http://www.tcelectronic.com/holiday-rebate-bass.asp
  8. zsahadak

zsahadak

I'd say the MB-115, if there's need it can get loud enough to be heard with guitarists and a drummer, plus if you need to play live with it most places have a P.A. you can plug into via XLR. However, the tweeter is terrible on mine but I don't have the latest generation, they might have fixed it.