Using distortion with a tube amp.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I really like the sound of an overdriven tube amp, and the sound of distortion pedals. Has anyone ever used them together?
    I was thinking of using maybe a Boss BD2 or something in a future rig(ODB-3's always sounded harsh to me:bag:).
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you mean a distortion pedal going into an all-tube amp, then yes that's what practically every electric guitarist in the world has done since the 70's, and plenty of bassists too. People like the way a tube amp smoothes off the edges of the distortion.

Others may find it all too mushy or muddy, depending on the particular setup.
  3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I've been using a Mesa Buster 200 tube amp for a number of years with various types of OD, distortion and fuzz. Not to mention – filters, modulators and octivators.

I've tried SS and hybrids, and have settles on tubes. :D
  4. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

I think he meant trying an OD pedal with an overdriven tube amp. Like if you were to be stacking 2 pedals. And no I have not tried that, BUT I always stack my VMT with my EBS Valvedrive (always on with a tad bit a grit) into an SVT CL (clean). Sounds awesome!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

I run my rait tail on light distortion and heavier distortion settings into a Mesa 400+ and love the effect. I also run fuzzes into it, but have never really found any filters or modulation effects that I have been able to bond with.