1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Using distortion with a tube amp.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    I really like the sound of an overdriven tube amp, and the sound of distortion pedals. Has anyone ever used them together?
    I was thinking of using maybe a Boss BD2 or something in a future rig(ODB-3's always sounded harsh to me:bag:).

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you mean a distortion pedal going into an all-tube amp, then yes that's what practically every electric guitarist in the world has done since the 70's, and plenty of bassists too. People like the way a tube amp smoothes off the edges of the distortion.

Others may find it all too mushy or muddy, depending on the particular setup.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've been using a Mesa Buster 200 tube amp for a number of years with various types of OD, distortion and fuzz. Not to mention – filters, modulators and octivators.

I've tried SS and hybrids, and have settles on tubes. :D

5. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Oct 8, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I think he meant trying an OD pedal with an overdriven tube amp. Like if you were to be stacking 2 pedals. And no I have not tried that, BUT I always stack my VMT with my EBS Valvedrive (always on with a tad bit a grit) into an SVT CL (clean). Sounds awesome!

6. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I run my rait tail on light distortion and heavier distortion settings into a Mesa 400+ and love the effect. I also run fuzzes into it, but have never really found any filters or modulation effects that I have been able to bond with.