1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Using external preamps with Zoom H6

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by marcberez, Jan 10, 2014.

1. marcberez

marcberez Supporting member Supporting Member

Is it possible to bypass the preamps on my Zoom H6? Would using an external preamp make a difference to the recording quality? Also, if it is possible and would make a difference, what external preamps would you recommend ? The mics I am using to record my band's rehearsals are the following:

Sennheiser 441 (used on snare drum)
    Oktava MK 012's (matched pair used for overheads on drums)
    Heil PR 40 (used on bass drum)
    Shure KSM 137 (used on guitar cab)

Electric bass is recorded direct out from Genz Benz 6.2 Shuttle

Thanks for you help!
  2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Dude: you expect to get a better answer on TB to this technical question than you got on Gearslutz? :)
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/newb...on-zone/894703-bypassing-zoom-h6-preamps.html

What I'm really curious about is are YOU experiencing issues with noisy recording? I've used many mics with the H6 and when doing proper level setting and recording with a 24-bit depth, the noise floor level is pretty dang dong good. I've experienced no issues with noisy preamps on the H6. Have you, and if so, what was the circumstance?
  3. marcberez

marcberez Supporting member Supporting Member

No, I don't expect a better answer. I am looking for different opinions and experiences of people who may be using the Zoom H6 with external gear. I am researching and learning the best possible way to obtain quality recordings with the Zoom. I am sure that there is a finite quality to this piece of gear, but how will I know where that point is if I don't ask questions?

Any help/ experiences are much appreciated.