Using Guitar Wah Effects on Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OPIUM-PR, Jan 3, 2014.

1. OPIUM-PR

OPIUM-PR

So I was trying out some pedals in Lawton and one of the guys at the store told me that there isn't much of a difference between guitar and bass wahs. He said "it's really more of a marketing gimmick", now I'm not a complete fool, I understand that bass frequencies and guitar ones aren't the same, but I figured there was some truth to what he was saying.

Truth be told, I was jamming on a Dunlop Bass Wah and a Guitar Wah and I actually liked the sound from the Guitar Wah more than the bass one (even though the sound kinda seemed to jump and chop up while I was popping the strings). The Vox Wah pedal for guitar seemed to sound the greatest to me in terms of volume level and control, even better than Dunlop.

Anyways, some other guy at another store/pawn told me that if I used a guitar wah for my bass continually I might end up frying the circuits on the pedal from overheating it. Was wondering if any of you gentlemen could help clarify what is truth in this little situation and what is a lie. Nice evening.
  2. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Well...Some guitar pedals sound great on bass, and some don't, you'll have to use your ears to decide what you like best.

My personal opinion is that Wah pedals for guitar generally don't sound that great on bass..Although, I've heard great reviews about the Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah on bass.

As far as "overheating" the circuits on the guitar wah by using a bass? BS!
  3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

LOL

I Use a Ibanez Weeping Demon on a regular basis..In fact i Have been using it for the better part of 8 years....works great and sounds fantastic (Though there is an actual low range setting for bass) For the Life of Me I don't know why they don't advertise that fact!!!

It's super tweekable....has a photo eye....you can fine tune the frequency response as well as control the rate of shut off in auto foot switch mode...It will do old school or you can set it to shut off as soon as you take your foot off

IMHO it's the best bang for the buck out there in terms of Wah Pedals
  4. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

There are a couple of the Morley Wah's that sound good on bass as well

The Vai Bad Horsie
    The Mark Tremonti
    The George Lynch Dragon

all sound pretty good on Bass

and by the same Token My kid uses the Dual Bsss way for his 7 and 8 sting guitars...lol
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

It's also a trade secret amongst guitarists that using a bass wah with a guitar usually sounds pretty great.
  7. sketch

sketch

I use the same board for guitar and bass, which has an Area 51 guitar wah I assembled in a Dunlop wah case. I have previously borrowed/used a Dunlop bass wah (the white one). My guitar wah ends it's sweep at a higher frequency, making it cut better... But the low end of the sweep is in the bass's low mids, so it doesn't sound "meaty" with the heel down. Now I live in China and don't have access to quality parts, or I'd mod it.

If you have any talent with soldering, you can replace 2 (I think 2) parts to lower the bass freq of the wah filter. Wah is a very simple circuit, lots of info on the web about how to build them or mod them.

Cheers