1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Using IEM's when not all amps go through the mixer

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Sheldon681, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Sheldon681

Sheldon681

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I did look through the threads in this forum before posting. I occasionally play small bars where none of the amps (2 guitars + bass) are put through the mixer. We strictly use the mixer/PA for vocals.

The problem I'm having is the ability to hear the guitars, especially the one on the far side of the stage. I'm wondering if there's any way to set up a mic/IEM transmitter somewhere at the back of the bar, or at the "wives' table" fairly close to the front of the stage, etc. so that the FOH sound can be sent back into a wireless IEM system. IE: Can I hear what the crowd hears? I have a Zoom H4 recorder if that's something that could be worked into the solution.

Anyway, just wondering if that's something that can be done, or if it's an idea I should drop. I've used IEM's a few times before with bands that run everything through the mixer and I absolutely love them.

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

A monitor ?

3. modulusman

modulusman

If you have your own monitor mix you could mic the guitar amps and just not turn them up in the mains. You can also use ambient mics placed on stage or facing the audience to hear the band/crowd. depending on the model of IEM you are using you can buy a lavalier mic that clips onto your shirt and get the onstage sound from that.

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

If you want to hear more of the opposite side of the stage in your IEMs, better take a feed from amp mics or an on-stage ambient mic. If you use a mic at a table in the room for that, you'll be hearing random chatter, drink orders, pick-up lines, etc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Mic or DI the amps,

Don't turn up the channel fader.

Set the monitor send configuration to pre fader.
    Use the channel pot for your in ear mix.

7. Stingray5

Stingray5

Yes, take the in ear monitors out. In this situation you shouldn't be using them.