1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Using overdrive w/o loosing punch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by j_micho, Feb 18, 2014.

1. j_micho

j_micho

I find my bass tone to loose a lot of punch when using an overdrive pedal (even at mild settings). I can still cut through the mix, but I just feel my sound is loosing....authority.

Anyone has a trick to help with this problem?

BTW my pedal is an Aguilar Agro.

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

How much gain are you using on the Agro? I've never owned one, but I know it doesn't get all that mellow and it can go way into distortion territory. When I went to preserve "punch" I generally go low gain, as over saturating the sound tends to hide your attack a bit more.

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

I played in a couple of 3 pc bands. When I needed an overdrive sound to thicken up the sound, I played through
    2 channels-- 1 clean, 1 dirty. This allowed me to maintain the sound of the bass part and tweak the dirt.

4. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Dry blend is the easiest fix for that.

Boss LS-2 is cheap & works well

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. j_micho

j_micho

I used a fairly low setting (around 10 'O clock if I recall). But I was playing my L2K (passive) which has very high output.

I'll try blending in my clean signal. I have a LS-2 but I threw it in a box somewhere as it was only good at generating noise. I'll try my homemade paralooper (https://sites.google.com/site/prairiestateeffects/bassparalooper).

7. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    This is a common problem and even OD pedals with a "blend" can get lost. One of the best pedals I've found for adding OD but not loosing punch is Ashdown's Lomenzo Hyperdrive. Doesn't get much play around here but it just adds OD to the midrange freq. you choose (sweepable) and leaves your bottom and top alone. Love that thing.

The LS-2 is a good way to go also.

8. maartendew

maartendew

I use the agro with my tone hammer preamp.

I set the agro with the saturation about 10 'o clock as well, just to add the little break when I dig in. But I use it over the TH's AGS set to about 9' oclock. seems a bit of both overdrive gets it going for me.

It does cut a bit of the bottom frequecies (which i dont care, I still own the floor frequencies), but I feel my attack still gets through in my power trio.

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

My experience with the Agro was what the OP describes. A lot of bite, and a lack of punch.

10. Guinness20

Guinness20

I think something's just clicked. I've been looking at a muff style fuzz and also an od that would cut through and sound great with the fuzz. I'd been looking at the b3k but it sounds a bit metallic to me, but I could go for the lomenzo hyperdrive and apply the overdrive to the mids.

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

The AGRO has a built-in frequency scoop even when adjusting the Contour knob. I noticed that too when I used it live - some key frequencies are lowered at nearly any setting.

http://xotic.us/effects/x_blender/

This unit kicks butt and is easy to setup. Works great with mixing the clean tone with the effected tone. This is key to getting your distortion tones to keep the low end and overall note clarity of your complete tone for the stage and the House.

12. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

I had the same problem with my agro. I was using IEMs and lost the clarity using it at low gain settings. My Joyo ULtimate Drive is excellent though.

The agro did benefit pretty well with a clean blend. It helped the clarity factor.