Using Powered Speakers with a Powered Mixer?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by aglide, Mar 10, 2012.

1. aglide

aglide Supporting Member

We're thinking of upgrading our PA. I figure we should get powered speakers first, and then replace the mixer later. I'm wondering if this would work:

Current:

Next step:

• Mixer/Amp: Peavey XR600G
    • Monitors: Peavey PR10 passive (x2)
    • Mains: two QSC K12 powered speakers

If you look at pages 8-10 of the XR600G manual, the description for item 31 says "Main Output: This 1/4" jack provides a signal from the main system mix after the graphic EQ. This is used primarily to feed an auxiliary amplifier/speaker system."

So would I connect one K12 to the Main Output on the Peavey and then daisy chain the 2nd K12 from there? Or would I need a Y-cable of some kind?

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

3. uhdinator

uhdinator

Check to see if line out is balanced TRS

If so TRS-XLR to one speaker. XLR-XLR to second speaker daisy chain (mono)

For what it's worth I would consider JBL prx612m instead. Save $100 and they sound smoother, warmer, less brittle on the top end. Then add a sub or 2 later.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    As long as it is a line out, you're good to go. I do this with my Yamaha and k10's. Also with an old Mackie 406 tht belongs to a guitarist I work with and it work fine. Btw - the K10's rock. I picked 'm over the K12's or the broader dispersion and very similar sound quality. Makes more sense in the rooms where I provide sound.

Outdoors I add 1 or 2 fearful 12 subs, crossed around 100 to 120 and the system really pumps.

I've listened to the PrX's and the EV Live X as well. To my ear, the QSC's were closer to neutral. The JBL's and EV's seemed overstated to my ear. One man's warmth is anothers flabby... All three are good and the flaws as I percieved them could be easily eq'ed out. I went with QSC for a several reasons, not the least of which is that ... It's QSC. I've owned several of their amps and had success with all of them. I still own my venerble old 2402. Their tech support has been really easy to chat with and Bob Lee is on this site often.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aglide

aglide Supporting Member

Thanks for this discussion everyone.

Interesting. I'm not sure I can see us running a sub anytime soon... what's your opinion on K10s vs K12s with no sub? Any major differences? I've been reading a little about the DEEP setting on the K series. Marketing hype or something real?

7. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

My band has 2 k12s as our mains. The "deep" setting does produce a noticeable change to the low end, but at a cost (to my ears it muddy the overall sound). When run the 12s in the normal setting without a sub and it sounds fine, but overall sound is greatly improved with an actual sub in place.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I would agree with that. I run the deep switch engaged sometimes but cut back on the lows at the eq. The sub or subs let the mids really punch. It really doesn't take much and it's totally worth it IMO - assuming that you have percussion, drums, bass key's in the PA. If not, the K10's by themselves work great.

My 'acoustic' trio, now quartet featuring percussion is low stage vol, so my bass is in the PA and I prefer the sub to the deep switch.

9. Hactar

Hactar

Correct me if I am wrong, but the manual seems to say that the main output on the XR600G is unbal. line (TS).

Consequently, you can run TS-TS from main output to K12 #1, then XLR daisy chain to K12 #2.

10. Already In Use

Already In Use

You can feed powered speakers/monitors from the front main and monitor output(bottom right) on your XR600G. Once either one is fed a line signal you can daisy chain additional speakers/monitors. You can do that and also feed amplified signal from the rear outputs to passive speakers. The XR600G is a nice powered mixer.

11. aglide

aglide Supporting Member

Great to hear. Thanks to everyone who's responded. Now if I could only bring myself to pull the trigger on some nice powered mains :)

12. jsnewk

jsnewk

K10s with 2 Ksubs...crisp clear vocals and highs with serious low end punch..

We're looking for a powered mixer to use in very small venues where space is very limited. We need the board to accommodate at least 3 stage monitors, 5 vocal mics and a wireless in ear. It also needs to have some FX on board. Any help/advise from anyone would be very much appreciated. Like to keep the price below $700. Thanks in advance.

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

IF you're "really" looking at going down this road.. consider going only to powered/active speakers...

I'd also consider holding slightly for enough budget to get a mixer that you can do more with.

my powered mixer has been sitting in storage since going to actives... sucks to pay for it... sucks more thinking back at what we used to do.