1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Using Rackmount Effects Live

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Joshcherrington, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Joshcherrington

Joshcherrington

hey guys, relatively new to this so bare with me.

Ive been playing bass in bands (both my own, and as a session bassist) for a few years now but i feel i cant get the sound that i want through my current setup, it sounds great and im really happy, but i'd just like to boost some of the low and mid-end in a way that i cant on my head.

im starting to look into Rack-Mounted EQ's, and i was just wondering how one would use this live? in particular ive been looking at the Peavey 21SEQ, its a great price and does what i want it to do. how would i use this with my current setup and how would venues use it to go directly into the mix?

Im currently using a Marshall mb450h with a 410 and 115 cab.
    the head has an XLR line-out.

Any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Josh
  2. Hactar

Hactar

First off, using graphic EQs on bass is not what you want to be doing.
    You will simply end up drawing pictures with it and it takes much to long to shape the sound. Also, GEQs are often noisy.

Consider looking into a parametric EQ, although PEQs are typically pricey and also take a bit more practice to use effectively.
    Other options would be to find a 7-band EQ for bass, or use a multi-fx pedal with some instrument equalization options.
  3. uhdinator

uhdinator

To run a rack unit EQ you need an amp that has a send and return jack. If you don't have an effects loop then use a pedal type/stomp box EQ.

15 band is enough. 31 band is overkill.
    I have used many Rack unit type of EQ's and never had any noise issues (unless you are trying to feed instrument level into it, then plugging it into the front of your amp which would make it noisy)

Harke, and Peavey make bass amps with graphic EQs instead of pots for tone adjustment, so using a graphic EQ is not really forbidden on amps. My Mesa guitar amp has one also.
  4. TimmyP

TimmyP

Parametric, such as a Rane PEQ17 off of eBay. You'll be able to slice out the hot notes that are ruining the mix without killing your tone. And you'll be able to dial in what you need.
  5. Bossco

Bossco

While I agree with prior posts that parametric or even a semi-parametric will serve you better they're not as easy as a graphic to use and yes more expensive. I use parametric myself but frankly it's rare to find them used properly.

I'll assume a typo and you mean a Peavey 215EQ. No personal experience with this particular unit, however, your mb450h has a mono FX circuit so you only need a single channel EQ. Easier to find dual channel though I suppose and you always then have a back up if one goes out on you. Whatever you decide be sure to try using your bass amp EQ (& boost switch) to pump and your external EQ to then selectively dump.
  6. Hactar

Hactar

Bossco raises a good point here.
    If you do choose to go the graphic EQ route (hopefully with a 15-band), it is always better to selectively cut, and boost subtly over a large range. You do not want most of your bands to be running at +15 or some such.
    A common adage in live sound is "cut narrow, boost wide" and most of the time this is a good guideline to follow.