Using Sansamp with Orange AD200

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fusss, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Fusss

Fusss

Hi

I am looking to use some effects with my rig which is as follows

Orange AD200 head
    Orange 4x10 cab
    Fender jazz bass

I want to use some sort of distortion, I have heard crazy good things about the sansamp, I have used one previously but not with rig and liked it.

I like the sound the head gives but don't always get to use my cab for shows when we don't headline, therefore I'm after an effects pedal god this reason.

What are people's recommendations? Is having a sansamp with this head counter productive? What other options are available?

Thanks
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

1 you have to use a cab with that head, or you'll kill it quick.
    2 overdrive/distortion is one of the most discussed effects here, and there are many choices. But, the choice is personal. Use whatever sounds good to you.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You must always have a cab hooked to the amp or it will die instantly.

You can use a samsamp as an overdrive distortion effect if you want to.

Most would use the overdrive of the Orange, what they paid the big bucks for. The Samsamp could also be used more as a clean volume boost to push the Orange into overdrive.

But always with a cab. You cannot DI the Orange without a cabinet.
  4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Which sansamp? Bass Driver?
    I wouldn't go with that if I were you. Unless you wanna ruin your Orange tone?
    Seriously though, it's scooped and gets lost in the mix. Much much better choices out there (*hint* Darkglass, W&C, ss/bs)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

This is crazy talk.
    I have an AD200B and wouldn't touch a Sansamp, it would sound like throwing a blanket over my golden tones.
    But I have used a Darkglass B3K with GREAT results. So it sounds like you could use a B7K with the DI capability.
  7. Grissle

Grissle

8. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

I would be in the camp of "NO YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT TO YOUR ORANGE TONE".
    There are many other distortion or drive pedals that are available that won't impart so much flavor the way a SansAmp will.

Another thing (as mentioned above) that you might want to look into are boost pedals. They are going to help drive your input harder and bring out more of the Orange fury.

For drive (on my AD200b), I play a ZVex Distortron and for a boost I'm using an Ibanez Bottom Booster.
  9. Fusss

Fusss

Been a bit of confusion here

I don't mean play without a cab, that would be suicidal!

I mean when we don't supply back line, using the headline bands cabs, they are not always up to scratch!

Yeah I am basically after a overdrive or boost pedal, is a sansamp really not the way forward? Not entirely sure how one works, what do they actually do signal wise?

What's the best value overdrive pedal?
  10. Fusss

Fusss

What do boost pedals do and what are the best options?
  11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Fuzzrocious Rat Tail.
    Thank me later!
  12. Grissle

Grissle

BTW the Tech 21 Oxford is an Amp simulator/Overdrive based on the Sansamp technology.
  13. Fusss

Fusss

Is the Oxford not a guitar pedal?
  14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

The Oxford is marketed to guitarists, but if you crank the bass i've heard it's usable. Alternately, you could get a modded Oxford from Mike Putnam.
    But to run an Oxford into an actual Orange sounds a touch redundant, hence my Rat Tail suggestion.
    The Rat Tail is an extremely versatile overdrive/distortion that'll sound good with most any amp you'll come across.
  15. Fusss

Fusss

Is the rat tail available in the uk?
  16. portlandguy

portlandguy

Don't, It will ruin your tone
  17. Fusss

Fusss

Do you recommend using nothing, just cranking the gain?
  18. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

The SansAmp products are designed exactly as that (to achieve a certain tone without an amp). Not to say that they can't be used otherwise, however. I used a VT Bass in front of my Fender amp for a real long while and loved its tone. Depending on which Sansamp product you had in mind (and being that they are modeled to mimic tones of certain amps), it might not be the best route to go in front of your Orange amp (if you normally like your Orange tone). The Para Driver and Bass Driver both have balanced lines out which make them useful for recording or live use to go direct to a sound board or DAW. They're great products but maybe not the best solution for someone looking for just a drive pedal.

The Character Series as shown above (Oxford, Blonde, Leeds, etc.) can also be used for bass, but only the VT Bass was specifically designed for bass (an Ampeg amp modeler). I can't speak to any low end loss you might encounter with the others. As for stacking an Oxford on top of your Orange it would be like having an Orange amp emulation on top of your real Orange amp (why would you have the redundant modeling if you've got the real thing).

As far as a boost pedal - it does literally that. It boosts your signal so that you are driving the amp more. Depending on your tastes, there are cleaner boosts or boosts that impart their own flavor or add more gain to your signal. Only you will be able to speak to what you like. When listening to clips online, just always bear in mind your needs for a pedal, and try to listen if that pedal will accomplish that. You don't NEED pedals for anything. But if you are trying to accomplish a sound, it's better to research and make sure you know what you are trying to achieve.
  19. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Also - bear in mind that everything I'm saying is based on you using your amp but not your cabinet (as you seemed to have specified in this statement).
    If you are looking for something that will sound good when you can't play on your own amp - then scratch everything I said and look into SansAmp.
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

A boost is generally regarded as a totally clean bump up in the signal level. The increased input to a tube preamp gives it a big overdrive without twiddling knobs.

To get the tube amp sound without any tubes is the holy grail. Sansamp do a great job for the money imo.

Fuzzrocious and Darkglass are others to look into, more money.

In the UK, SFX stand out, and prices are well up there.

Anything can be posted from US for not much moolah.

You might like to look at getting a used sansamp character pedal off the classifieds, shipped to Mike Putnam for modding and he can ship to you no stress. With the mods he does you could have a VT DI with blend and speaker sim defeat on the cheap. Or Blonde or Oxford with the Jimmy mod.

The good thing about sansamp BDDI and Para is they will drive your borrowed amp through its effect loop no problem, completely bypassing the host EQ and give you a DI at the same time.
  21. adamafurious

adamafurious

I'd also recommend checking out a Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B. Great (and simple to operate) germanium boost that will play very nicely with your Orange.