Using the LMII as preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Feb 9, 2014.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Is anyone here running the MarkBass LMII as a preamp with a power amp in some kind of "permanent" setup?
    I have tried it a couple of times and it sounds great but I miss a convenient way to hook it up. No real line out means I have no master volume and no DI once hooked up. Any comments?

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

No-one racked it with a power amp? Is there a pre that would sound similar? (Flat, low noise, "bland" but "warm"...)

4. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

You hit it in your first post. The adjustable line out of the LMIII makes it a better preamp. Couple that with the fact that the LMII has respectable power on its own, not many people would choose it for a preamp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

I have however used it as a power amp running a tube pre into it. Nice.

7. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Well, you could use the Send Effect as the out to the power amp, and still use the XLR Line Out for DI. The Gain serves as the master volume for both

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I believe the Effects send is prior EQ?

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

If you intend to use the EQ then you must go out of the DI into your power amp.

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Bringing up the subject again as my "regular" preamp in my pre/power setup is acting up.
    I can not find any other preamp amp to my liking, as I do not want tube (sound), Fender tone stack or amps with a lot of "baked in" voicing etc.

Question 1: My current LMII will not drive my QSC PLX amps to their full output, as the voltage on the DI out is a bit low - even with the LMII gain quite high up.
    I am not sure about this, but it seems the LMIII has higher output, where it exceeds the LMII's fixed level already at 10-12 o'clock at the LMIII line out knob?

Quesation 2: Has anyone here modded the line out to increase gain on a LMII?

Question 3: The LMIII is sort of a "first choise" for me, as I have used the LMII for a long time. Are there any other MarkBass amps that sound (virtually...) the same through the line out, when set to post EQ?
    The LM250, LMK or TA503?

All feedback is welcome as we are now getting into the gigging season here!

11. Jeff Scott

12. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Thanks!

I have seen it but not tried it. However, at 3.5 times the cost it is completely out of the picture, especially as the LF eq points are too high. I want that 40Hz center frequency for the low shelving.

13. Jeff Scott

Perhaps this could be a market the Marco could go in, a preamp based on the LMII/III preamp sections. I know there is the MoMark but as it has a built-in power amp that doesn't help your cause. Or, MarkBass can introduce smaller chassis, similar in concept to the API 500 Series to house 1 or 2 of the modules from the MoMark series?

14. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Good idea!
    Competitive pricing would be a challenge, as the much larger production runs expected for the integrated heads would probably give a very simpilar production cost (not sales price!) for the two models.
    I have gradually changed my mind and try to think of it as the current mini/micro heads as a "pre amp with a built in, back-up power amp"...