Using two 2x10 instead of one 4x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ugly_bassplayer, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Anyone doing this?
    I've been thinking about it since my 4x10 is freakin heavy.

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I use two DNA 210's stacked vertically. Allows more midrange to come out, great dispersion of sound (similar to an 810) and gets closer to my ears. Two 54lbs 210's are easier to deal with than one 96lb 410. I don't miss my 410's since I have been running 210's vertical.

3. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

It seems to be gaining popularity on TB, but the best way is to stack them vertically regardless of how narrow the resulting stack is. That arrangement provides the best dispersion, and will make the rig easier to hear by getting a few of the drivers closer to your ear.

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

This.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

For that exact reason, I just made the change. Most rooms I played had built in PAs, so I would lug around my Ampeg 410HLF (great cab!) but usually not push it with my MarkBass LMII past 9 or 10 o'clock. I recently bought a Carvin BR210 at 4 ohms to match the LMII. I love it. Sure, I sacrificed some of the low end, but I think it's worth it as most house subs were pushing those frequencies when I gigged anyway. The Carvin is a great cab, and it compliments the MarkBass perfectly. I couldn't be happier.

7. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Yup, same here. Exactly what I do with my two Avatar B210 NEO cabs. BIG high quality sound, very well made, small footprint, modular (use just one at practice and small gigs), lightweight (40ish pounds each) and at great prices. Really hard to go wrong.

8. garp

garp

That’s precisely why I retired my 4x10 cab, and now use Avatar’s 2x10 and 1x12 cabs. Besides being easier to throw into the backseat of a 4-door sedan, my lower back is extremely appreciative.

9. joe vegas

joe vegas

25 years ago, i gutted a 1986 Hartke 4x10 aluminiums cab to have a vertical 4x10 built from the speakers, to see how it would sound.. my reasoning was a "micro-mini wall of sound" based on the Dead's vertical tower approach. It sounded thin and diffuse, but i always thought the idea was more workable than that particular execution.
    Glad to see it's something that's being reconsidered and that is actually working well.

10. ma4rk

ma4rk

Back to the OP's original question - I use a SWR Workingpro 2x10 reguarly. Works well in my 10 piece blues band (we have brass, keys, guitar & up to 3 vocals). Tho you'll need to mount it on top of something or put it on an angle facing your head. Our volume isn't that loud so it will depend on what type of band you're in.

11. ugly_bassplayer

Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated.

12. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I prefer carrying modular 210's or a wheeling a full 810 to a 410 load in and subsequent stage dead lift any day.

13. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I've actually had this discussion with the Jim and Henry at Bag End. 2 2x10's sound bigger than a 4x10 because the box internal area is larger. You also get flexibility. If a 2x10 will do the gig, why take 4? I wished I would have listened. I tote a 4x10 to all gigs.

14. ugly_bassplayer

yep, I'm wishing I had two 2x10 instead of my Eden 4x10.

15. rasicci

rasicci Supporting Member

I just switched to vertically stacked 2x10's for the exact reasons mentioned in the thread. So far very happy with results. Also the small footprint is much appreciated by other band members.

16. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

2 Berg HS 210's here. Love'em stacked vertical no matter the amp used. I no longer own a 4x10 because of the sound and ease of moving the Bergs.

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

2 ACME B2's here stacked vertically.
    For insane gigs(or appearance) the above gets doubled(2 vertical stacks).

Our last(years back) Houston Livestock and Rodeo tent gig put us back-to-back against a tent with fools who would not turn down or cooperate on breaks and playing times. We finally went to insane volume level(ear plugs go in at this point) and started playing the EXACT songs they played except we lowered them a half-step and played just behind their timing. :D This was relatively easy as we've all been playing for 40+ years and our drummer is a clock(unless well-endowed women hit the dance floor). What happened in the other band's tent made it worth the trouble...
    I had the 4 ACME B2's at that show because there was no FOH for bass.

18. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    With the ultralight and class-d SMPS amps out today, this is a MUCH better option and frees up more space on the stage than a lead-sled with a 4x10s. Tube is a different story, but for a light footprint on stage this is a great, very audible option. I'm kicking around doing it myself sooner or later.

19. Blankandson

Blankandson

Not sure if it's the Toyota or Honda mini-van, but one of those will take two GK 2x10 cabs in the back 'drop down' bin. That puts them out of sight. Don't know if other makes would fit or not.

20. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I love 2x10 cabs!!!

21. Arjank

Arjank

That a vertical 410 sounds thinner then a regular 410 is due to two things:
    1: the bafflestep is at a lower frequency for the regular 410 which will make the cab sound fuller
    2: the 4 drivers are located nearer to the floor in a regular 410 which adds some extra dB's in the lower frequencies.