Using two preamps to run two cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassLift, Jul 19, 2012.

1. BassLift

BassLift

Let's say i'm using a Genz benz head to power one cab and a separate power amp to fuel a second cab. If i wanted to run the bottom cab for more low-mid and the top cab for mid-high range, how do i go about getting my signal to split? if I were using a pedal-preamp, what would be the best course of action to take?

2. Hactar

Hactar

What cabs are you using? If the cabs are the same, you may not be improving things much.

To split your signal at a frequency, you need a crossover, or an amp that provides such a thing.

3. BassLift

BassLift

I wouldn't want to split the signal at frequency, just use a second preamp/eq, independent of the first one so i could dial in one for better mid-highs and the other for low-mids. Maybe this is unconventional if not completely impractical, but i'm an unconventional bassist, and come up with strange ideas.

4. EricssonB

EricssonB

Strange ideas sure do seem to bubble up from Boulder. :cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I used to use 2 preamps, one into each channel of a stereo power amp, into 2 cabs. Worked great!

7. BassLift

BassLift

...tell me about it. I live my life bouncing on the tightrope that separates genius from insanity.

8. BassLift

BassLift

what was your setup like? how did you get the signal from your bass to 2 preamps?

9. Hactar

Hactar

Dude, story of my life..
    Lots of Boulder people in this thread :)

EDIT: NVM, I think I have a better idea of what you're trying to do.
    And really, it's not that unusual.

10. Hactar

Hactar

What kind of preamp are you using?

One signal chain you could use would be:
    Bass in to GBE1200. GBE1200 to cab 1.
    Tuner out from GBE to second preamp.
    Second preamp to power amp, then to cab 2.

11. BassLift

BassLift

That's what I was looking for. I don't have a pre-amp just yet, i don't even have the second cab yet, right now i'm just running the GBE1200 through a 410, but i plan on being an overall TB Blasphemer and adding a custom 18" woofer to the rig with as much power as the 410. When i do that I want to be able to use the Woofer to capture the lows and the 410 to capture the highs. The 18's I'm looking at don't have anywhere near the range of the 410 but can handle lower frequencies better if the signal is properly eq'd. I can see why people say mixing cabs is generally a bad idea, but if you can properly isolate and utilize the properties of each cab independently, i feel like there's a whole world of tonal possibilities to discover.

12. Hactar

Hactar

The other option, depending on the preamp, would be to take a send from the preamp, and send it to the GBE, the reverse of the above.

You could also use something like a very small mixer, which gives you other options as well.

13. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I liked to run separate effects chains into the preamps.

Bass > lehle p-split > 2 outputs:
    1. Straight into a dirty tube preamplifier like an SVP pro
    2. Wah and other goofy effects into a clean preamp like an SVP-CL

One pre into the left channel of a Crown power amp, the other pre into the right channel.

Then... You can have a great time playing around with different cabinets.
    :D

14. BassLift

BassLift

Awesome, thanks guys, i'm stoked on this project, as soon as i get the wheels in motion i'll keep the board posted on my progress.

15. Jimbo Jam

Jimbo Jam

I do something similar. My setup is a Ampeg SVP Pro and Tech 21 Sansamp RBI into a QSC 1804 and each channel running to a Delta 12 within the same cab. It took a little rewiring but its pretty incredible to run a clean and distorted channel inside one cab at 600 watts a speaker. This gives me a small package and I adjust the distorted channel with a volume pedal.

16. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Any effect pedal w/stereo outs would also split your signal into two mono sends as long as you left the effect off. Like a Boss BF-3 flanger.

17. rickwebb

rickwebb

Stereo Chorus Box? A/B/Y box?
    I've tried both but neither was really practical for my needs at the time.

18. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Some of us "Rick-o-Sound" guys have been doing this for years. Running the neck pup into one rig and the bridge pup into a second rig enables a far wider range of tones since you can set one rig up EQ'd for huge bass sounds, the other for top end. Use the vol controls on the bass to blend to taste.

You don't have to have a split signal from the pups though, there is no reason why this couldn't be done simply by splitting a 'mono' signal for a similar if slightly more limited efect.

I used to do the 'stereo' thing but mainly in the studio because of the cost and hassle of hauling an extra rig around, and even though I have enough gear to do it these days it just seems like too much fuss. Nowadays there are easier ways of getting a wide tonal range - Active EQ for one, programmable EQ for another.

It does seem like an expensive and cumbersome option, but if it floats your boat it's not hard to do once you've got the gear.

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Any number of ways to do this but you're hamstringing the 410. It's a full-range cab so let it do its full-range thing.

Riis