1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Using your thumb and index finger to pluck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by agyeman, May 29, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

I have seen sting and a couple of other bass players play this way. What is the best way of playing using this technique?

2. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Well, Don't play like that. You are very limited whaen it comes to the things you can execute and do. Sting is an awesome guy bvut I prefer the traditional technique. It's tried and true.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's one of the reasons Sting's bass playing is so limited, technique wise. You're not going to see him char any frets, but vocals/composition are what he's all about anyway.

The only way I use thumb and index is to slap a root and hit the first note of a double pop.

The "best way" is the one that works for you, as long as it doesn't hinder your economy of motion of efficiency, (but I think for most, it would).

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

not to go against the tide here, :D, but i use my thumb to pluck, along with my index, middle and ring fingers - like classical guitar technique. makes playing octaves and string skipping a lot easier. also makes the transition from fingerstyle to slap a lot more fluid - i go back and forth sometimes in the space of a few beats. takes dynamic control, but sounds cool.

the secret is to not plant any fingers anywhere. when not in use i rest my thumb on one of my lower strings. planting fingers, imo, is a very inefficient way to set up your plucking hand. a lot of energy and hand strength is wasted when fingers are planted - keeps your hand stiff, which is bad, slows the plucking hand down.

if anything needs to be planted, i plant my arm on the edge of the bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. agyeman

agyeman Member

thanks for the info guys.