USPS losing shipments

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by dystopiate, Jul 31, 2012.

1. dystopiate

dystopiate

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    To be clear, this about problems with the US Postal Service, not UPS:

I recently shipped out two items USPS. In one instance I had to refund the buyer's money because it just never showed up (reputable, long-time TBer with 100% positive feedback in over 100 transactions).

And it just happened again, but this time the buyer was lucky enough to receive a call from someone else who was delivered the package.

Finally, in a non-TB related delivery -- I ordered something off the web. I found the package several days later, placed behind my trash can, a good 20+ feet from my door. I don't take out my own trash, so it would have been thrown away had I not noticed it.

The items I sent were cheaper items, so I didn't feel compelled to send them UPS/FedEx, but I'm now crossing USPS off my list and I encourage others to do the same.
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

USPS is the worst way to ship. I had a neck sent to me USPS once. After 2 weeks I told the seller to refund my money. A week later the neck showed up....
  3. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

You guys are scaring me , there all i have used the past year-never had an issue, but it sounds like I better not get lax on insuring my items.
  4. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

I've never had an issue either. I'd better knock on wood though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Look on the bright side.
    If the other neck wasn't lost I never would have bought the one from you. :bassist:

The problem with USPS is there is no tracking
  7. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

If you send it with delivery confirmation there is.
  8. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Even when I have used Delivery Confirmation, the status online hasn't updated until it actually arrives.

I haven't had a missing package from USPS, but I do think the lack of real tracking is terrible.

But, I do have another beef. The pictures we ordered for my son's high school graduation were delivered by USPS. The pictures didn't fit in the mailbox, so they left it - on my grass, where it could have / should have just blown away.

I should have registered a complaint for that one, but we didn't bother. The pics were sitting there. Sheesh.
  9. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

I'd never had an issue with USPS until recently when I sold a mic splitter here on TB and shipped it out Canada Post to NYC. The buyer never got it and initially Canada Post tracking listed it as undeliverable and being returned to sender. I didn't get it back and started asking questions. Then the story from USPS changed to it HAD been delivered which it had NOT. So now I'm out one Radial JS3 in good condition, $35 shipping and since the first investigation took me past my window to do a paypal refund the right thing to do will be to refund the buyer his paypal costs in addition to what he paid. I'm awaiting the results of a second investigation but it's becoming more trouble than it's worth.

Sending it with signature required would have cost almost $50 which for something the size of a DI box seemed outrageous. Kinda sorry I passed on that option now.
  10. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

In my previous extravangant-gear-oriented hobby, I ordered a 6" apochromatic refractor from Astro-Physics, a US builder of fine optics. There's a long waiting list for these telescopes, at the time about 18 months for mine. It cost me $5500.

Despite having paid for the service, and despite the crate being marked "Adult Signature Required" all over it, United Parcel Service (aka "Brown") left it on the porch of my Hollywood duplex, in plain sight for anyone to take.

Fortunately it was heavy and large, so it wasn't stolen before I got home. Can you imagine how angry I was? I didn't use UPS for 15 years after that. I still feel wary whenever I have to use them.
  11. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

That's because it's Delivery Confirmation, not Tracking In Transit. USPS doesn't offer tracking-in-transit for any service.
  12. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

I've been sending multiple things a month through USPS with delivery confirmation and I see where it is and it's scheduled arrival date. I'm not sure why others can't.
  13. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

It isn't as much info as FedEx or UPS but delivery confirmation tells the last stopping point and delivery date. I have used it tons.
  14. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Where do yall live big city or small town? I live in a small town and we get the worst mail carriers. I have chased down the mail lady at least 3 times cause I knew my package should have been delivered and it wasn't. It turns out she had it in the back of her car every time. I guess she was gonna deliver whenever she found it cause she had to dig around her back seat to find it. And like one of the earlier posters I went to get the mail the other day and there was a package that wouldn't fit in the box it was on the ground. She tries to balance stuff on top of the mail box. I hate for anybody to lose their job but we are complaining next time something like that happens.
  15. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Wow - I have never before had bad luck with USPS.

And I would probably dismiss this info until recently...

I ordered an effect pedal that is hard to come by and it never arrived. Seller urged me to wait a couple more days and then informed me that they got the package back empty.

To make up for this they sold me a more expensive pedal with a serious discount and overnight "express" USPS shipping.

It never came.

Then they finally sent a THIRD pedal that did arrive.

This was within the last month.

If I see that the seller ships US Postal - From now on I will pay more for fedex.
  16. JoseNeville

JoseNeville

I live in Puerto Rico who is a USA colony, we use postal and everything from USA. I buy a bass on Ebay the guy send using USPS standard service that was july, 30. The bass have not yet arrived. I hope I get the bass this week, but you make me scared because it's that happens in CONUS I don't what to know what we expected from Alaska, Hawai and PR. My recomendation is to ask the buyer to pay priority mail, I never experience any problem. The difference from shipping a bass is about $10, and the bass will arrived in at most one week.
  17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

You may not have noticed it but the post office had signs up hireing help. For $11 per.

With all due respects to the economy that's not alot of money, at least where I live. And yes I did consider it.

But I have also had people come up to my house with packages they found in the middle of the road. It's hard to get people up to speed in a couple of weeks.

Get delivery confirmation on everything.
  18. dystopiate

dystopiate

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    A little update. The package I sent that never arrived has now arrived, a month late, empty, with a stamp that says, "received without contents" on it. Best part? It's sealed. Meaning that someone had to RESEAL it to make it appear that the contents weren't removed/lost/stolen/etc.
  19. recreate.me

recreate.me

oh gosh, I have a BATT preamp being shipped to me now through them....

I am up in Canada so everything i get goes though customs, and the last pedal i bought (TAFM sent right from Brian) showed up in good time however the package was completely opened... When i picked it up it almost feel right out! I couldn't believe it. Pedal worked undamaged but it was a bit of a shock, it could have easily just been taken or lost and i could have ended up with some old newspaper...
  20. murphy

murphy

Aaaarrggghhh......These careless and unscrupulous delivery companies are driving me......maaad
  21. denhou1974

denhou1974

My mother in NY sent us a b-day card via USPS Next Day Air. We got it 2 months later. Otherwise I've had pretty good luck with them.