V4B EQ Settings

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jbd5015, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

Wondering how you guys EQ your V4Bs? It had been a while since i played mine, and i was quite unhappy with the tone i was getting where i had previously left it...relatively flat.

Im comparing it to the B15 ive been playing for the past 4 months. I run that fairly similar to how Jamerson ran his. I dont dime the bass, but run it fairly high, but i also bump the treble up just a smidge and run the volume just past where it starts to break up.

this creates a great tone for me to pluck or pick with. ive actually grown in technique with this amp, its helped me tremendously with studio recording too. Its a very similar response to going direct into a great preamp (API) and using studio monitors.

Now, i went to try and get close to that on the V4B, and i found that i was boosting the bass a good bit, treble just a smidge, but i had to cut most of the 'low mids' out. Running it flat gave me this very middy tone that explains a lot of issues our band had with regards to stage tone!! OOPS!! Its very nasally without being clear...strange! Sounded good with a pick, but not so great while plucking!

This thread is about finding some neat tones with the V4B and how you guys set your amps!

Im playin a '74 through a B40 cab loaded with Bag End 10's to create a 2 ohm 4x10 that can handle some serious lows.

cheers!!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In that case, I doubt my settings will help you since I use it with either an 810 or a couple 210av's, and they have different settings. But I also have a B-15 (64), and I can get similar sounds out of either. The thing to do is to sit with both of them together and try to match tones.
  3. jbd5015

Looks like i have some more tweaking to do. I did that for about 45 mins yesterday, got it pretty close, but it just didnt transfer to the live situation that well.

other factors include a fully mic'd drum kit, that was cranked through the PA, and the mains were set louder than what we are used to, also they were EQ'd different than we are used to. we were playing a St. Pattys day gig where 10 bands went through the stage with 15 mins between them. NUTS i tell ya! We have more of an 'americana' feel to us, where the band before us is known as the '80s Cheese band and has a heavily processed sound!
  4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I usually set mine with treble flat, a slight boost to mids and bass, mids on the center position with adjustments to that to compensate for the bass I'm using/the room. Usually this is through my 8x10 cab. I get a similar tone with my B15 running the settings near flat, maybe a slight boost to bass and slight cut to treble.

The two amps use a similar baxandall bass/treble circuit but the V4 has the active mid boost/cut so if you're dialing in a slight mid cut on the B15 with your settings, then having to cut mids on your V4B to get the same tone isn't surprising.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbd5015

I suppose it would help to know how the tone circuit on the B15 works. It seems very straight forward in its design.

Does boosting the bass and treble on the B15 effectively scoop the mids? Ill have to look into understanding exactly what these tone circuits are doing and id have less trouble with them!

cheers!
  7. coreyfyfe

Yes, the mids are fixed so boosting or cutting the bass/treble around them gives you a perceived boost/cut to the mids. Here is a good page describing the differences inherent to the common types of eq on tube amps (fender/marshall/vox versus baxandall/james) and how the controls impact the signal.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I should mention that I've tried the Jamerson B-15 setting on my V4B and SVT and it just doesn't work out like it does on the B-15. I guess it's because of the overdriven tubes reducing low response and the bass knob making up for it, but it gets crazy bassy on the V4B and SVT without overdriving them, and I can just barely get away with it using a B-15 on my gigs and I'd never get away with it using a 100w amp, let alone a 300w. So I cheat and use an overdrive pedal.
  9. coreyfyfe

Probably depends a bit on the B15 circuit you're using. The earlier B15 had the tube driving the EQ followed by the volume control while the later designs had volume control in the gain stage followed by the EQ. Channel 2 of the SVT uses the later B15 design, channel one has a the EQ in the middle of a gain stage same as the V4 preamp. In one of the portaflex threads someone (likely it was David or Mark) explained the differences created by the two layouts, but I can't recall how long ago it was so it may be difficult to find again.
  10. nysbob

nysbob

I start with all three tome controls around 1 o'clock (mid switch in the middle) and fine-tune from there - some rooms need a tad more bass, some need a little mid or high boost. By little, I mean little maybe up to 2 o'clock - much more & things get out of whack. I'm playing it through a pair of JBL 15"s.
  11. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The bass and treble circuits are basically the same in a B15 and V4. Both are passive baxandall that are non-interactive (compared to a Fender tone stack) and act as active controls. The difference is the midrange. None in the B15 and an active cut and boost with selectable frequency in the V4.
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

This is the topology that Corey was referring to in the early to later B15N.

In 1964 they had [gain stage-> tone stage -> gain stage]
    in 1966 they had [gain stage -> gain stage -> tone stage].

In 66 the input signal, if the volume is turned up, is hotter when it smacks the tone stage. There is also an impedance difference going out to the ext amp (preamp out/ power amp in) between the two stages.

[​IMG]