Valentines Day date advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by klejst, Feb 12, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

So Thursday is Valentines Day and I have a date and since the trusty TB community has always offered some great advice when it came to bass gear I figured I would see what input or advice you all would have for me regarding my date. It is actually our third date and we are going to see the movie Warm Bodies. It was her movie pick and I wanted to see it to. It is Valentines Day so I wanted to get her a little something for it. Nothing extreme or way over the top, but I was thinking maybe some flowers or something along those lines. Roses may be pushing it a little, but I was thinking perhaps some Daisy's. I can tell she likes me and I am interested in her, but up until now I have not really expressed it without a sense of humor or sarcastic sense, kind of my way of showing some hints without just giving away the whole farm so to speak, but she eats it up. Just call it young dumb "love."

However any thoughts, other ideas, advice?
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Flowers without roses is a great idea. Play it cool, and by all means, go for it...3rd date, you like each other, Valentines day - the stars are in alignment.
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Ha, I'm actually in the same boat as you. Valentine's Day will be the first date I have with this awesome young woman I just recently asked out. Needless to say, I'm excited :)
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

This. Three dates in, next one is on V-Day, and she's been dropping hints? DO IT!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Warning: I have no experience so everything past this point has the potential to be complete and utter ********.

-Flowers are lame... unless she really likes flowers. If you know her well enough to pick out something personalized, go for it. A bottle of wine? A bracelet? A nice scarf (scarfs are frikken awesome and cheap). I think anything that can be used in some capacity is good.

-Warm Bodies is great choice. Really good, fun and interesting movie. The romance plot is weak sauce but everything else is really great

That's about it for I think.
  7. klejst

klejst

Thanks guys for the responses and Jmatt hope your date goes awesome for you as well. I'm thinking the Daisy's along with a bottle of wine may be some good choices (I don't know a lot of girls who don't like flowers, but who knows). The bracelet and scarf idea are good ones, however may be a little too sudden since it is only the third date? Also with the bottle of wine to make sure to pick up something she would like. I think overall just the fact it is V Day will make it a little more special too. For sure I am going to play it cool, I really wanted to express that in this post, however if everything is in check I may very well make a move...something does tell me though she may be expecting it. Indeed third date is kind of the act or loose out or worse fall into the "friend zone" type date.
  8. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Flowers are hip.
    I like to try to find something local and unique. Tap into her specific interests.
    The scarf idea is pretty smart too. Women like if you style them up. Scarves are a safe bet in that department.
    I generally avoid candies/chocolates.
    Wine, eh...some women are picky on their wines and there are so many different kinds (and some really suck). I'd avoid that in the beginning stages.
  9. Mr L

Mr L

Surprised no one said it yet.

Chocolate.

Girls love the chocolate.

Interesting week so far as it was my gf's birthday today and v day is Thursday.

Took her skating and to a local indie bands outdoor show (all free as it was for "family day") dropped her some chocolate for the birthday present with a nice card and Thursday ill pick her up from work with flowers (friend works at a greenhouse and can get me roses for like $10) and take her for a walk along the ocean, then drop her off at school in time for her night classes... Maybe meet up with her after they're over ;)

Birthday AND valentines day successfully completed.

Chocolate $15
    Roses $10
    Gas $10

Total $35

For a broke musician, probably the best valentines/birthday ever.
  10. Chebass88

Chebass88 Supporting Member

Unless you are a complete bonehead, you can't possibly mess this up. Third date, on VALENTINES DAY, and she actually likes you too?

Flowers are an excellent idea. Make sure to pull out all the stops though - get flowers + chocolates + wine. The trifecta should help you out.

May your date be a giant success, and may you get as much booty as you can handle.
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

[​IMG]

The ladyfriend and I tend to avoid going out on Valentines day itself, can usually enjoy a quieter meal out the day after :)
  12. CaveMan462

CaveMan462

White Roses work every time.

I first gave them to a gf years ago. She later told me it showed her that I was so socially responsible, kind hearted and interested in her for her. I don't know about all that, but I've given white roses to a few girls early in the relationship and its always worked out well. The last girl married me! Still can't figure that one out. Good luck!
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Flowers. Pick them up at local grocery markets for $20.00
    Buy a mixed variety, they last about 2 weeks.
    Roses would be pushing it on a third date IMHO.
    Have a nice time.
  14. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

get the roses. these guys saying flowers are lame or not roses probably spend a lot of time sleeping on the couch or single. when all her friends have roses and you got her a grocery store bouquet she's not gonna wanna talk you up to her friends.

the rest of the date is up to you. take whatever you do and make it interesting. I've brought flasks to the movies on more than one occasion. with the right girl that can make for a crazy fun night.

you can probably get a nice little necklace at a place like target for $20

I'm making my fiance some cheddar bay biscuits like you get at red lobster. she loves them but i hate red lobster so i learned to make them. for V-Day i'm gonna cut them into heart shapes before baking.
  15. RS

RS Supporting Member

[​IMG]

^ This.

Don't blow it, son.
  16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

That's her job, anyway
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

So here's a question about flowers.

The girl I'm taking out is pretty easy going and she's not too into the whole Valentine's Day thing. She's dropped the hint that she doesn't really like receiving flowers and chocolates or going on cliche dinner dates that night just for the sake of it (she'd rather that stuff happen orgaically as a relationship grows). That said, I thought it might be sweet to still buy here a single of her favorite type of flower (mostly because I [key word] think every girl going on a date deserves something along those lines).

My question is do you think this is a cute/nice thing to do that she'd appreciate, or do you think she'd think it was lame since she has already told me she just wants us to keep things simple? I asked her roommate what she thought and she said she didn't think the girl I'm taking out would like it, but I can honestly see it going anyway. Plus I don't think a single is that outrageous or cliche. I like to think it shows I've put some thought into it while keeping things simple and while also being the kind of guy that I really am (and I know she appreciates guys who are real and aren't fake in those regards).
  18. AaronMB

AaronMB

Flowers are important even if she is against the marketing aspect of the various holidays. If you know her well enough or you've been together long enough you can get away with no flowers or an alternative but most ladies want to be shown that attention one way or another: either buy flowers or find a few to pick your self. For the first few dates the former is a wise option, for JMatt above, the latter, perhaps. Or yes, a simple single flower.

In both cases you guys can say something like, "As much as we don't like to support the marketing hype of holidays, I do like you, and it's Valentines Day..." The point here is to acknowledge the day (even if she says don't worry about it) and make sure she knows your thoughts are of her - the tricky part is finding the fine line between her individual sensibilities and the pressure/norms of society to "do/give something" on that day.
  19. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

20. AaronMB

AaronMB

Right!
    It's usually better to assume it's a trap and cover your ass than it is to simply go with her "it doesn't matter" attitude that she may or may not be serious about...err carefully. :D
  21. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Not necessarily. Some women are really...not into flowers. I've met at least one.