Value of a 1969 J Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkyfretless, Jan 16, 2013.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless Supporting Member

hey guys,

i am looking into getting a 69 j bass. its all original except that the pots have been changed. everything else from the guard, to the pu's and the screws in it are all original.

i believe it does not have the original case though...

the person is wanting $3,100 for it.. is that worth it as an investment?

thanks,

evan
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Is it sunburst? I think that's a fair price. Make sure the neck doesn't need a bunch of work.
  3. zfunkman

zfunkman

IMHO vintage instruments are so not worth the price. I'd say, not worth it at all. I guess if money is no object and you can afford it easily then go ahead. About the only thing a vintage instrument is worth is nostalgia. I've played several overpriced vintage basses and they don't play or sound any better than new instruments, they just cost 3 to 4 times as much. You can get a great tone from a brand new American Standard, or any new instrument and anyone listening wouldn't know the difference between vintage and new. After playing a Modulous Q5 for 12 years I decided I'd just like to play a 4 string Fender Jazz. I originally thought I'd get a vintage until I saw the prices they went for. I ended up getting a brand new American Standard J bass for $1000. I love that bass; plays great, sounds great, and looks great.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

So what you are saying is you have no idea on it's value.

$3,100 is a fair price for the bass from the description, pics would help.

Also we are not supposed to give price quotes to non-supporting members. So that is all the help I can offer.

EDIT: Read the post a little closer. If you are buying this as an investment DO NOT BUY IT!!!!! This is not a good investment!!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bikeplate

The OP wants to know if its a fair price for a 69 jazz. Not opinions on if its better or worse than a new Fender
  7. zfunkman

zfunkman

The value of anything is what anyone is willing to pay for it. I just don't think any vintage istrument is worth the prices they go for which is why they're usually bought by rich guys who are not professional musicians (doctors, lawyers, business men, etc. who still play) and added to collections. You are correct in stating not to by an instrument as an investment.
  8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

You think only "rich" people can pay $3100 for a bass? Many people enjoy playing vintage basses, and to them it is worth it. All of this is off topic, though. To the OP, if the bass is original and in decent shape that is a good price.
  9. bikeplate

If its as described, that's a fair price. Also, I'm not a rich guy. I'm a musician and I have a 1961 Precision I paid alot of money for and I even gig it on occasion
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Huh??

So doctors and lawyers have driven up the prices of vintage instruments? On what planet did this happen??

$3,100 for the J bass in question seems like a decent price, if in fact the only non-original parts are the pots. I've always felt the pots to be the least worrisome replacement, outside of the original strings.
  11. zfunkman

zfunkman

Its those "rich" guys that have driven up the prices of vintage instruments. There are definitely more people who are financially secure that buy "vintage" istruments than there are strugling professional musicians that buy vintage instruments. If you want to go broke buying a 69 J bass then go ahead . . . Or you can by a sweet new bass and amp setup for $3100.
  12. bikeplate

The 69 will always worth right around what you pay for it though. A new bass and amp will tank in value. Just check the classified section on TB. Just a poor musician stating some facts. Lol
  13. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Look at my profile :) I'm already broke from buying equipment. Btw, what do you play?
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I don't see why "struggling professional musicians" are more entitled to own vintage instruments than anyone else. Often the reason doctors and lawyers are able to buy vintage instruments is because "struggling professional musicians" sold their vintage gear to support a drug habit.
  15. ibateur

ibateur

think the thread has run its course lol. PICS when you have it.
  16. narud

narud Supporting Member

LETS DO THIS THREAD ALL OVER AGAIN:hyper::p
  17. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    If anyone thinks professional musicians, struggling or otherwise, keep the vintage market, boutique builders or fender in business, they need to rethink things. The percentage of any maker's output sold to pro players who make a living at music is a very small one. There are not many exceptions.

Instruments are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If you're a well to do dentist or attorney and your life is made more complete by a garish boutique or Paul Reed Smith instrument, stock up! If you need a 61 P-bass like Jamerson to make your world go, and you can find a playable one that you can afford, why not? If you're happy with a Squier, that's more than ok too.

I'm not a rich guy, but will gladly be a very rich guy if and when life circumstances and opportunities permit. I'm working on it! Anyone who says otherwise is likely not being truthful.

That said, the instrument in question may be well worth the money, if it plays well and makes the sound the buyer wants to hear. I've run the gamut of instruments, and have found the ones I most enjoy playing and hearing are my vintage Fenders. So I sold the Smiths, Parkers, Laklands, Goulds, etc and now play a few cool (to me) 50s & 60s vintage Fenders. When you find a good one, the prettiest, boutique-iest, hippie sandwichest, priciest whatever just won't hold a candle. Of course YMMV.

Find one, or more, you love and play it to pieces. :bassist:
  18. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

True, and it will likely sound and play better. Thing is, if 2 years down the road, your tastes change, depending on exact model and brand of the new equipment, you will lose at least 25% of the value, and that's if you really take care of everything. If you pay fair market value for a 69 J bass, you will likely be able to resell in 2 years for at least what you bought it for, possibly more. I will definitely be getting a 69 J when I find the right one at the right price, that is my birth year and I just think it would be cool to have one.
  19. zfunkman

zfunkman

That is the stupidest quote I've ever heard. PERIOD. And only a complete moron would make it. The average professional musian is just not rich, however, they do get by. And they're not all drug addicts. Most of the musical gear they have is practicle and necessary. I once made my living as a professional bass player; I made money but not much. I still play but no longer make my living doing it. I have several friends who are professional musicians now AND ARE NOT DRUG ADDICTS. Most pro musicians are not rock or pop stars and do a lot of studio work and tour gigs. In music, if you don't write popular songs you will not be rich, however, you may make a modest living.
  20. bikeplate

Wow. Never done a drug in my life. Shame on you for stereo typing a huge group of people as drug addicts.
  21. zfunkman

zfunkman

A Fender American Jazz
    A Ric 4003
    A Modulous Q5
    Original SWR SM 400 (main amp)
    GK 700RB w/BBE Sonic Maximizer (backup)
    1 1x15 Bagend
    1 1x15 w/coaxiel Bagend

Have never been impressed with vintage instruments.