1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Value of a 1971 Bassman 100

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rockinrayduke, Jan 6, 2013.

1. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Email from a friend of mine concerning his amp, wanted to see what you guys can tell me.

It is a 1971 Bassman 100 Amp (according to the schematic all the inspections were in 1971)

CBS Musical Instruments Model # CFA 7100

The Cabinet has four (4) 12” set 1 each at top, bottom, left and right mounted at approx. 45 degree angle each.

Cabinet Serial number is 7712

The 6L-6’s are all RCAs, so I assume they have been swapped out.
  2. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

About how much do you think this might be worth?
  3. Kenner

Kenner

...they don't make em anymore... :p
  4. nysbob

nysbob

The only value the box has is as a vintage curiosity...those boxes were atrocious.

The head I've seen from $300 for "well used" to $600 or so for pristine.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Very subjective. Some love the head and cab, some hate. I used to have the head. I liked my '67 50 watt Bassman head better. I've played through the cab and agree with the previous threads on here that it's not the best, IMO. :cool:
  6. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm with him. Somebody had one of the cabs listed forever on CL around here. He had dropped it to $75 I think and I'm not sure if he ever sold it. But I agree with bob on the price for the head.
  7. toobalicious

toobalicious

it is *my* opinion that the heads are freakin' awesome. not a fan of the 4x12 cabs, as seems to be the popular opinion. most of the internal volume isnt available as airspace for the drivers, and the baffles are literally glued together. my bassman 100 came (to me anyway) with the v.t. bassman cab--- 2x15 with square-magnet cts drivers. marginally to substantially better, and still not that great. but put the head into a "real" cabinet and fall in love again. 100 watts is plenty if you do the right things with them.
  8. toobalicious

toobalicious

p.s. i traded into mine by even-swapping for a peavey TKO back in '92 or so... did i ever come out ahead on that deal!
  9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

irrespective of its value as a bass amp, a silverface Bassman 100 head is a guitarist's dream ...presuming that guitarist isn't going for a massively grindy modern hi-gain/overdriven sound. Clean but thick/phat gooeyness for days.