1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Value of a 1972 Fender P-bass with Refin???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NYCbassist, Jan 8, 2014.

1. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Cheers: I have an offer on the table to trade for a '72 P-bass. It has been re-finished but I believe all original otherwise. I don't have a clue as to the value and normally avoid Refin's completely. It's a 45 minute ride for me to go see it If I meet the trader 1/2 way. I would be trading my 2012 RIC for it:eek: :eyebrow: and would have to replace the RIC anyway because I can't live without it. :)

Thanks up front for some guidance. And go...........
  2. NYCbassist

I promise Pictures once the Trader emails them to me. I won't do anything until we all agree it's a fair deal.:D
  3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

A used 2012 Ric is worth, what...$1,400-$1,500? A refinished '72 P-bass is worth, I'd say $1,100 - give or take depending on the originality/condition. Not the best trade in the world for you, cash wise.

But there are other things to consider. A bass that's been refinished has likely been molested in other ways as well. The likelihood is that the pickguard, electronics, hardware has also been messed with. It's a rare day you see a vintage bass that's ONLY had the finish removed. I assume the other guy has sent you photos? Post them here, and you'll get the whole story.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It is a tough call, the used market on both those basses can go pretty far either way. The 70's P bass might get $1200, it might fetch $1800 or more, depends on how desperately the buyer wants it. A 2012 Ric, while only it only cost $1600ish new it can fetch (for some stupid reason) $2,000 if not more.
  5. NYCbassist

Thanks Buddy, I am waiting for pictures but I was thinking $1000 value on the P-Bass. MY Ric is 100% Mint and plays sweet. I have bonded tight with it which is also worth a lot. I'm thinking I'd have to get $500 with the P-Bass to even it up.
    Plus it's hard to tell what's hidden under the pickguard/in the neck pocket/etc...
  6. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

See if this helps: I just looked up the price for a new Ric and it looks like you'll be around the $2000 price range. So, you can look at it as you're going to pay $2000 for a 72 P bass that has been refinished.
    IMO, that's too much for a refinished P bass. Why? Because it's not the original finish. Also, I don't follow your logic of trading a Ric which you know you like. When you go to replace it, you can't be sure that you'll immediately like the replacement. To me, I would hold off on the trade and save up(or use the cash you have) to buy another P bass. There are other ones available. Just my opinion. Hope this helps!
  7. NYCbassist

Thanks and agreed! MY Ric has a nice dark fingerboard and dark wings too. I don't know how rare that is but... haer's a pic or two[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. NYCbassist

Thanks Man. That make a lot of sense. I really want a 70's Fender and actually always wanted a 77 or 78 Jazz(Think Foghat) but I wouldn't mind owning a 72 P-Bass:)
  9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

If you like the Ric keep the ric.

There are refin ps all over the place.
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

'72 is the last of the reliably good years for Fender until things started getting better in '78. I owned '72 and '71 Precisions, and both were superb. Thing is, when you get into the $1,500-$2,000 area, you can find clean original examples of early 70's Pbasses and late 70's Jazz' all day long. That Ric looks nice, and if it suits you well, no way would I trade it for a refinished '72 Fender. Keep the Ric and save up to buy one of those Fenders you're looking for. Prices are not going up any time soon.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

The model changes happen about half to 3/4ths of the way through 1973 for the 1974 year models. Its best to judge by the attributes of the actual bass...the thumb rest, the pickguard material and the rout shape will tell you if its the last of the 68-73 range or part of that 74-late 70's range.

My 73 was mid year and was of the earlier persuasion and was one of the great ones.
  12. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

After seeing the pictures of your Ric, I DEFINITELY would not do the trade! That bass is beautiful!
  13. NYCbassist

Thanks man, It's a player too. I'm still waiting for PICs from the P-Bass owner. Once I get them I can at least post them here for reference.
  14. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

I would say if he added $450 to the deal, it would be more in the realm of "fair"
  15. mellowinman

mellowinman

DON'T DO IT, MAN!!! DO NOT GIVE UP THAT RIC FOR ANYTHING!!!
  16. Jiker75

Jiker75 The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

+10000
  17. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

You dont even know if the P plays well. You love your ric and your going to give it up for a bass your going to get to test in a parking lot ? Tell the guy your ric is worth more and you will give him cash for his bass if you even want it.
  18. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

This is coming from a die hard P Bass fanatic. Been playin nothing but the things for a few years now. There are P basses all over the place. Heck , some of the mexican ones and even some of the new squiers are as good as some of the old am. made ones. As others have said , if it's been refinished , there are probably some other worms in the can regarding the P Bass. So the advice of a die hard P bass man is this. Keep the ric. This is not a good trade , especially if you already like your ric. Even if he wants to kick in $500 , I don't think this would be a really good deal and I would sure be checking that P Bass out from stem to stern before I even thought of a trade. Just my 2 cents.:bassist:
  19. Doctor J

Doctor J

Never get rid of an instrument you really like for one you've never even played, just because it's old.

This also makes a whole world of sense.

20. grrg63

grrg63

Im also a Pbass guy and I dont understand why you would consider this since you love the Ric you have (I dont blame you, Mapleglo is my favorite). Plenty of P's to be had, the potential for regret is too high for this deal.