Value of Hammond organs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by squiresuzuki, Jul 28, 2011.

1. squiresuzuki

squiresuzuki

I just came across this hammond e143 in excellent condition on craigslist: Hammond E143 Organ
    For some reason, I always thought these thing were worth thousands of dollars. Apparently, this is not the case since he's selling this thing for $350.
    There's no way I'm buying this anyway, but is this the right price? It sounds way too low to me.

2. bassteban

bassteban

If I'm not mistaken there's a pretty wide range in value on these guys- a tube-amped, true-rotary speaker-equipped model might fetch a pretty penny; a SS *budget* model may be overpriced at 3 bills(especially if it needs work). Mind you, this is all based on off-handed CL/ebay *research* :cool:

3. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

The Hammonds that fetch big bucks are the B3, the C3, and the A100. All of those models are essentially the same instrument in different cases (the A100 had an internal amp and speakers). Paired with a Leslie, these are the classic Hammond sound that everyone wants.

The E143 was a similar organ but not nearly as desirable. Not sure if $350 is a good price or not, but it's not one of the models that people search for.

--Steve

4. onosson

onosson

I picked up TWO nearly identical L or M series (can't remember) Hammonds about three years ago - for free! One was a giveaway from a senior's complex where it had sat since the 1960s, and the other was literally sitting on someone's curb! I gave the 2nd one to a friend (who needs two??) and ended up "donating" the first one to a friend's project studio ... decided to pick up a Nord Electro instead. Sounds better, and I can carry it in a backpack!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Ive seen B3s for 5 grand 10 grand these days... some even more.... a buddy of mine in NY collects them he mist have a dozen or so.... Nothing sounds like them through a leslie... nothing...! been there done that go the tshirt..

Hammonds and Leslies are the organic real thing

7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

I wouldn't give you $10 for that organ. Here's a picture of mine:

[​IMG]

1957 B-3 I picked up at an estate sale for $300. After some work I did to it (fixed a missing tone, replaced felt in both manuals, replaced a preamp tube, some finish work) it's now worth around $3000-$4000. I also have an A100 model that I got for $50 at an estate sale, it's currently worth around $1000-1500. The models that Steve mentioned is what you want, don't waste your time on a cheesy spinet model.

8. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Be careful a Hammond can be valued at $0-$6,000. B3s and C3s with Leslies are "the stuff" The solid state stuff really has no value.

If you enjoy it, by all means buy it, but you will not get rich on flipping it.

9. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online

That is a beaut!

10. bassist11

bassist11

Amen to that. Nord's are amazing!

11. Stev187

Now *that* is a gorgeous box! B3 is the gold standard as far as value, but tonally the A100 and C3 are the same. The C3 had a "church organ" looking case, and the A100 had a "living room" looking case (not unlike the E143, actually). My favorite Hammond organ was a 1959 A-100 that I restored. Some players prefer the A100s even to B3s because of the internal speakers. There's a nice tube amp and necklace reverb built into the A100 and two front firing Jensens pointed straight at your knees. I added a Leslie 122 and that rig sounded better than any B3 I've ever heard (sold it to a church several years ago).

Which reminds me--the 12" speakers in that E 143 might be worth more than the organ. There's a good chance they are mid-1960s Jensens, and guys love to throw those into Fender Twins, etc. Worth telling your guitar-player buddies about it.

--Steve

12. PolkaHero

And when hooked up to my Leslie 251/Hammond PR-40 sounds like the instrument God would prefer to play! Bass guitar is pretty much a toy to me compared to the power of this beast!

13. PolkaHero

Thanks. I actually disabled two of the internal speakers in my A100 and left the reverb speaker operable. I also replaced the necklace reverb unit with a tank reverb from a later model A100 as I think it sounds better. However, the B-3 has an "it" factor over my A100: more keyclick, brighter, and the percussion thumps harder on it probably because it has the original Tung Sol preamp tubes in it. When it gets cranking, the adrenaline rush you get from playing it is unreal!

14. Stev187

This is mostly true--the spinets aren't worth your time. That said, an M-series spinet can be a great one to chop and take on the road; paired with a Leslie, the sound is remarkably similar. Certainly wouldn't cut it for someone who plays the whole organ. Back before there were decent clones, our organ player hauled an M3 and Leslie to gigs.

I visited the Stax studios in Memphis recently and saw the M3 spinet that Booker T. used on "Green Onions." I was so excited to see Booker's B3, but it's not there. Go figure--one of the most famous B3 tracks of all time wasn't recorded on a B3 at all!!! I left an M3 in the basement of the last house I lived in.

[​IMG]

--Steve

15. Stev187

Trivia: if your A100 had a necklace reverb, it's a 1959. They added the tanks in 1960. Also, those speakers in the cabinet are Jensen P12s, worth big dough to the vintage guitar amp crowd. They love them because living in a Hammond organ or tone cabinet is an easy, well-protected existence. Man, do I miss having a Hammond around. I grew up visiting my grandfather who had one, and I love the smell of that TG oil and ozone.

--Steve

16. PolkaHero

Mine rolled off the assembly in Chicago in March of 1960. I know this from pot and speaker codes and have the original sales receipt when the organ was purchased. I actually left the necklace unit installed, just removed the wiring and hooked up a tank that I have mounted on a board next to the organ. I'm trying to keep it as original as possible to retain its value. What happened to your grandfather's Hammond, what model was it?

17. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

I have the spinet model M-3 that I picked up for $100 at an estate sale and I put another $200 into having it re-tubed, and gone over professionally by a Hammond expert to make it sound like new. I absolutely think it's worth every penny I put into it and the organ sounds like only a genuine tone wheel Hammond organ can. Those who are knocking it because it's not the same as a B3 seem to be exhibiting a certain kind of snobbery. Remember the aphorism le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (or the best is the enemy of the good).

You really think they aren't worth anything??? Don't waste your time with it??? Really, if you ever come across one and don't want to be bothered with it, give me a PM and I'll take it off your hands for you.

18. PolkaHero

Do I detect a bit of jealousy in this post?;) I've seen plenty of these in thrift stores, played them and they don't do anything for me. Then again, I'm a classically trained organist and need a pedalboard that's more than an octave. . .:rolleyes:

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

My college has a B3 in mint condition (very surprising considering the rest of our equipment there) with all the goodies (Leslie etc), that they have valued at 10 grand. Not to shabby considering the concert Steinway is 100,000 and the pipe organ built into the back of the rehearsal hall is 500,000. Yet all we have for a bass amp is a broken fender and a beat to hell sunn combo.

20. vin*tone

vin*tone

basic rule of thumb for a prospective Hammond buyer:

If is has coloured plastic buttons give it a miss!!!!

21. poorbassist15

poorbassist15

The Es aren't worth much, but they are fantastic instruments.

Ands for all of you hating on spinets, my L102 resents that.

Joking aside, a L or an M can really sound amazing, Green Onions and Sylvia(by Focus)were done on Ms, and so was A Whiter Shade of Pale. Keith Emerson used an L in The Nice.

And my H-182 is a great organ as well. Just because it isn't a B, C, or A, doesn't mean it's crap.