Value of my old stereo system...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

I can't believe it. I was looking to maybe get some money for my old component stereo system. When I got the system back in the early 90's, it was the best they had in the store.

All Onkyo: Tuner/CD/Dual Tape Deck
    JBL LX300 8ohm Speakers

I was digging around to see what people are selling this kind of equipment for...

I actually saw someone selling the same tuner AND CD changer for $19.99. ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!?! It costs more to ship those items.

The only thing that made me feel a little better was people selling the speakers for around $100.

I'm just venting... It worth way more for me to keep my stereo components. I can't believe how little they are worth in 2007. :scowl:

Joe

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I just "donated" my 50 disc CD changer to good will. Ugh.

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy

Yeah, the $1,588.67 I spent on my Yamaha integrated amp, single disc player, dual cassette deck and EQ with a set of Bose 501s made for a great system for the time. Around 1996 I sold the integrated amp for next to nothing to get the bank to get a Yamaha Surround amp. $700 for the amp. They're like $150 at Radio Shack, with more power and more "rooms." RADIO SHACK!!! I'll bet it probably sounds better too, but it was cutting edge at the time.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dig Vintage stereo gear and follow it.... black face import stuff is generally worthless on the market these days.

Wait 20 more years and it may come back some.

here is my main stereo

[​IMG]

it's fed by my DAW and 250GB of MP3s

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy

I'm not going to count on it. As long as it's working as good as it is, it serves it's purpose to me.

Of course, if I'd have stuck out a bit more money for the Carver stuff...

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

All you need to do is run a search on Ebay. Market value will be revealed unto you. You can always run the search on items that have closed to get the best idea of their current value.

Remember value is defined as what you can sell something for. If no one wants to buy it, then it may have more value to YOU.

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

I have very similar JBL speakers and I use them for multitrack mixing because they're very clean and neutral sounding. They originally sold for around $150 in 1993 but they're holding their value very well on ebay (really because they're JBL's :smug:) I'd hang onto them if I were you.

Here's info on your speakers from the JBL website:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=LX300BLK&CheckProduct=Y

Just be grateful you're not trying to sell a used computer. You spend $1000 on one and two years later it's worth $80. :bawl:

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

I have an old Technics SA GX100 tuner that I bought new in 1990 that's still going strong. It's bulletproof and still sounds great. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

11. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Thanks for the link. I really do like the speakers and I'm pretty sure that I'll hang on to them. My initial plan was to see if I could sell the audio components and put the money toward a new amp. After seeing the prices on ebay... forget it. They're worth WAY more to me.

Thanks for all the responses.

Joe

12. funbass

funbass

Every stereo I have owned in the last few years has been free to me. The one I use now is an onkyo tx88 and I think it sounds pleanty good for me. People in general are getting rid of traditional stereo systems and using home entertainment surround sound type systems and music on computer. My kid picked up some speakers [EPI] for free beause the owner thought they took up too much space . They sound awesome!