1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Value of Ric copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilovenofrets, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Supporting Member

Coming to the great realization that I just cannot afford a Ric right now,I may be in the market for one of the famed lawsuit axes. Let me start by saying that I did own a genuine Ric years ago; 1981 4003. Long story short, lost my job and bills were due :crying: I have missed her ever since.
    On to the 'Fakers. I know a few Japanese companies made them. The shop I bought mine from had an Ibanez copy at the same time; it was awesome. I actually contemplated buying it instead of the real Ric. From what I have gathered, the Ibbys are the ones to have if you're gonna have a copy. Again, the one I played sounded nearly identical to the Ricky I ended up with. Can anyone chime in on the other copies (Aria, Tokai, etc)? Are they just as close? And the big question-what can I expect to pay for one?
  2. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

As a rule the further away from that lawsuit era stuff you get the more details will vary from a real one. From the current crop the tokai's/ rockinbetter's (different brand) and Jayros are the better bunch. There's stuff like the Shine which is just too different.
    Join a group on Facebook called Rickenfakers, those guys will see you right and they always post adds for copies for sale.
  3. msact

msact Supporting Member

I have a Ibby and a Univox. Both are really good, but I feel the Ibanez is the best. It really nails the feel and sound. I recently picked it on Ebay for 650. The Univox is very good also but they seem to go for more when I see them on Ebay or reverb.com.

Here is one for sale right now on ebay. I know nothing of this particular one, but all those I have seen from this era are pretty good. The price on this one seems high though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-Vintage-Electric-Bass-Japan-Lawsuit-Type-/201042439732?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ecf102e34

I have seen Univox copies sell for 800-900 for one in good shape. I saw a Mann copy recently go for about 700. A good condition Ibanez copy will be somewhere in the same price range. Mine is in perfect shape and could have sold for more.

[​IMG]
  4. gary m

gary m

I owned a Univox back in the 90s...I think the model name for the Ric copy is Stereo Bass. Mine was very nice, neck through construction with natural maple finish. The electronics were above average once you removed the cap connected to the bridge pickup that bled off all the lows. I traded it away for a Hohner B Bass. Nothing really bad to say about it...there are moments when I wish I'd kept it.

The one in the eBay post is a bolt-on, not a neck through...I agree that its overpriced for what it is. Do a search for "Univox Stereo Bass" and see what comes up.