1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Value question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by raistlin, Mar 27, 2014.

1. raistlin

raistlin Supporting Member

I just picked up a MIA P Bass (2002) and I am thinking of swapping out the stock pups for SD SB-3. I like the sound of the SB-3 in the MIM P Bass I have and they suit my style (classic rock, rock, and blues).
    If I switch out the stock pups for the SB-3, does that lower the value of the MIA P Bass?
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for answering a newbie question!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Take the pickup, knobs, jack and all wires out as one piece including the bridge wire, replace all the knobs and wiring, and if you ever want to sell it, drop the original assembly back in, and no one will be the wiser.

3. raistlin

As a follow up--
    How would you rank the stock pups in the MIA P Bass for value? Would they be considered an upgrade in the MIM P Bass after the swap?

Thanks!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I have no idea what they used for pickups back then, but I'm pretty sure they'd be considered an upgrade from the MIM pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. raistlin

I can't find the original MIM pups and pots, or a switch would be easy. I am looking to sell the MIM now that I was finally able to get a MIA. The current plan, then, would be to drop the SB-3's in the MIA and drop the stock Fender pups from the MIA in the MIM and then sell the MIM. I was just worried about the resale value (if I ever decide to sell the MIA, as unlikely as that would be anytime soon) being hurt by not having the original pups in there, but I have not found anyone glowing about the stock MIA pups from 2002.

7. raistlin

I appreciate your feedback, JimmyM!

8. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    I would suggest not doing this... If you are serious about someday selling your MIA, it will have a lower value without stock pickups (unless you happen to find a buyer who prefers the same pickups, but that's kind of unlikely...)

On the other hand, if you're pretty sure you're going to keep the MIA, go for it. I'm sure the MIA pickups are better than the MIM ones. Plus, it's always good to have a P-bass on hand.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'd sell the MIM as is and keep the MIA pickup in case you ever sell it.

10. raistlin

Thanks for the advice.
    I will sell the MIM as is and save up for a completely new set of electronics for the MIA and save the complete original set for the MIA in case I ever sell it, swapping it all out as suggested above to keep it "original" for the sale.

Much appreciated!

11. raistlin

I just happened to check out the EMG site and found out about the new Geezer Butler passives!
    And then I found your demo tracks, JimmyM, and I am sold. that will make the swap out super easy. I will get the sound I want and all new pots and electronics and be able to hold onto the originals.

Anyone else interested in the comparison, check out this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/geezer-butler-signature-pick-ups-1046730/index16.html

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Very cool! Thx for checking out the tracks. Yeah, I'm flipping over the Geezer. Didn't want to hard sell you because it sounded like you made up your mind about the SPB-3, but I've had an SPB-3 and greatly prefer the Geezer. And the quick connectors rule.

13. raistlin

So true!

I had a set of the PHZ pups in a BC Rich Warlock that I got for basically nothing and they made that bass fun to play and it shocked some people with the tone it had for such a cheap bass. I also turned my Squier Standard P Bass Special (P/J) into an active using the EMG's and the quick connectors were a dream in both.

Thanks again for the feedback and for the tracks you posted. I am looking forward to my "Geezer" P Bass.

14. line6man

line6man

Usually, mods of any kind decrease the value of an instrument, regardless of whether or not you've improved the instrument. That's why you hang onto stock parts when modding.

15. raistlin

That is what I figured, and that is why I am a bit annoyed that I cannot find the stock MIM pups. I moved since I modded the MIM P Bass and I am afraid they got lost somehow.