1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Value: Squier JV versus SQ series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boombass76, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Boombass76

Boombass76

Hi, I have been checking out an old Squier Precision bass (with SQ-serial) from 83-84, and it plays and sounds pretty good.

Now, I know that the JV-series have quite some value for collectors, but does any one know if the SQ-series also are of any interest to collectors should I want to sell it again some day?
  2. kenjikun

kenjikun

JV definitely is more valued than the SQ especially the EXPORT JV (there were also DOMESTIC JV). Very early JVs (1982) had US parts. SQ was for export only (no domestic SQ) and more of the '70s Fender style. Nevertheless, these two series are definitely worth collecting and playing.
  3. Boombass76

Boombass76

Yeah... pretty much as I suspected, then :cool:

They really did a good job back then at the Fuji Gen-Gakki factory! :bassist:
  4. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

The couple of SQ P basses I've played over the years were very nice, proabaly the same quality as MIA Fenders. I doubt they will appreciate to justify investing in one but you should always be able to get your money back out of one as long as you pay a reasonable price.

I recently paid $600 for a VERY clean JV P Bass which might sound like a lot of money. I doubt I'd ever sell it and I feel it was worth every penny. IMHO, the fit, finish and overall quality of the JV's is about another 10% better than the SQ's. It looks like every fret and the nut was hand finished to a higher level and the neck itself has a better feel. I also feel that the pickups they used are different/slightly better.
  5. Boombass76

Boombass76

Oh... and could you say anything about the E-series that followed the SQ-series. I understand that they were made from 84-87, but do you know if you can date it more correctly based on the numbers following the "E"? E.g. E7xxxx being from 1987...?
  6. Boombass76

Boombass76

It actually sounds very cheap for a European :) Over here a JV could easiy go for €700-900 which roughly equals $1000-$1300.

But then again, you could probably not get that much for it in Europe due to the heavy import taxes we have to pay... :rollno:
  7. Boombass76

Boombass76

BTW, could anyone enlighten me on the reason why Fender chose to water down the Squier brand so significantly over the years...? Seems like a downright stupid decision to me...:rollno:

Today, the brand-name "Squier" mostly generates associations like "cheap", entry-level", "budget", etc. Or is that just me?
  8. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Consider what the JV and SQ ones sold for compared to what the MIA Fenders sold for at the same time. I don't know the actual pricing, I'm just saying that I'm SURE that was the reason :)
  9. Boombass76

Boombass76

Sounds likely... you are probably right.
  10. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

I'd be interested to know the comparable 80's pricing if anyone knows?? :ninja:
  11. Musky

Musky

The JV precisions were about £222 full retail price in the UK when they were introduced. For comparison I bought a US precision just over a year earlier for the (heavily discounted) price of £250.

Incidentally Kenjikun, only some of the early Strats were fitted with US pickups. No basses.
  12. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Thanks for the info
    So approx. $400/375 range?? I wish I could buy a few more at that price now :D Still pretty close in price. How did the JV quality compare to the MIA Fender at that time??
  13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Just picked up a JV Squier J for under $280 out the door.

It's been lovingly abused but plays and sounds awesome. There are some non-original parts; namely the control panel and knobs and possibly the bridge, but I felt the price was a lot less than what they should be asking.
  14. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Cool!! I'd love to find an inexpensive or project JV P bass. Post some pics!!!!
  15. DuffMac87

DuffMac87

They did it because they were to close in quality to MIA's. Squier classic vibe basses are none of the terms you described they are affordable qaulity gear, 20 years from now they will be worth something.
  16. kenjikun

kenjikun

Its hard but E series is unique as it came in two flavors, those with the serial numbers on the headstock (like the Jazz '75 RI) and those with SN at the back of the neck near the pocket. I personally believe that those with the SN on the headstock were earlier models.
  17. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    The PG is nicely yellowed and there is some dings and chips to the finish. Not a project,...I may have the bridge and control plate relic'd I took this shot for inclusion in the "show your basses thread".

[​IMG]
  18. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Nice!! I'm not much of a Jazz bass player but if I found a good JV for the right price, I'd bite. I need to start hitting the local pawn shops again.
  19. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
  20. elgecko

elgecko

You'd think, but my E856xxx P-bass has "86" stamped pots :confused: If there's a better dating system, I sure haven't found it.