1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Vantage Avenger 70s/80s Matsumoku good???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Does anybody have feedback about this model of "strange" P bass?? Kind of like the look if it. Seems many bought it eons ago in their teens as first bass. Many liked it but is it still good compared to say a Squier ????

Check the link :

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage/avenger/avenger.html

2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

These are good instruments if produced in Japan.
    They are not as valuable as the Alembic "copy" basses just because they are sort of a unique style. They are also bolt on rather than neck-thru and don't have the PUP phase switch.
    Consequently they are priced significantly lower.

From a construction quality point of view they should be pretty close to a Squier IMHO.
    I have never played or heard one so no direct experience versus P.
    Matsumoko tended to wind their pickups a bit on the hot side so I expect they will have the requisite thump.

That's my thoughts FWIW.

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

there is no bad bass guitar.

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

I have one of the AV-330 guitars, it's a decent cheap guitar.
    You may need to replace the tuners, but the electronics should be good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Thanks for replies....

How are the necks? I see someone selling a fretless version.
    Also what's a fair price?

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have an Avenger. Made in Japan (did they make them anywhere else?). Craftsmanship is excellent, sound is just ok. Sounds like a P-bass. The necks are thick, like the old Fender baseball-bat necks. These basses can be had very very cheap. The commonly sell for well under $200. Great value. I'll take one of these over a new Squier any day.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I played Japanese Vantage guitars and basses back in the day and they are great bang for the buck.

The PU can be crappy but solidly and well built.

10. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Hmm, so the reasons he would take your viewpoints on both sides of that statement seriously are...??? :D:D:D:D Not trying to be hateful, it just struck my huh ? button. :rolleyes:

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Here's mine -

[​IMG]

It's extremely well made and light (8-1/2 lbs.) Brass bridge and saddles, good quality tuners. Pickups have adjustable pole pieces and the output is strong. The only real flaw the bass has is the tone adjustment. It has a very narrow range. So let's say a standard Fender Pbass has a range of 1-10, this bass has range of 4-9 (favoring the bass end). I'd still take one of these over a Squier any day.

12. bobfarabaugh

bobfarabaugh

I had one a long time ago. I thought mine was pretty muddy sounding so I rewired it with a tone capacitor from........I don't remember but it really brightened up the sound. It kinda hung weird on a strap because of the short horn. Definitely brings back back high school though.

13. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Thanks everybody.
    Had to let the offer go, too expen$$ive (400$) but I'll keep an eye out!!

14. texacoon

texacoon

I bought one used as my first Bass I played it for almost 15 to 20 years in church never had a problem. Bought A Set Of D Addario Flat Wound On The Vantage Yesterday It's Like A New Guitar To Me never used to flatwound strings before. I was able to lower the action considerably I love it again.