Varify serial number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chud0664, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Chud0664

Chud0664

Please nobody yell at me it's my first time on this site hopefully I'm in right forum. I'm trying to purchase a 1978 bc rich mockingbird from an online site this is all new to me Yes I'm old and just figuring this online stuff out but I still get out and jam ! I would like to know if the serial number 823xx is real and does it belong to 78. All locations I tried tell me it's an 82 I need facts Help please !:hyper::hyper::hyper:
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Found this for you:-
    In the late '70s as production grew, the serial numbers begin to get ahead of themselves since only 1000 numbers were available in a series. With production growing rapidly by 1980, the serial numbers had gotten about two to three years ahead. For example, a bass guitar that is documented to have been purchased (not necessarily made) in 1980, bore the serial number #82595. Although neck-through production never surpassed approximately 2200 guitars a year, as the '80s progressed, the serial numbers continued to get ahead of the actual year. By 1981 the numbers were about four years ahead. This gap remained fairly constant until Bernie Sr. turned the production over to Class Axe in 1989.

So yes, it's possible the bass is a 1978-1979 even though the serial number starts with "82"

From this article:-http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/article/530-dating-your-b-c-rich-guitar.html