Vegetarianism vs Veganism

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KiDD QuE, Nov 19, 2012.

1. KiDD QuE

KiDD QuE

I have been a vegetarian for almost a year, it is pretty fun because i've tried many different foods and cuisines that I dont think i would of tried before. The first week of vegetarianism was a little hard, but fun because i just starting trying different things.

How many of you are vegetarians and vegans?

Also, how hard is it to go from being a vegetarian to a vegan, where do vegan's normally eat and shop?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I go back and forth between the two. My love for cheese, and the lack of good tasting vegan cheese, has prevented me from maintaining a completely vegan diet.

I have no food allergies or dietary restrictions, I feel better when I stay on the vegetarian/vegan diet. I'll eat meat now and then, especially if someone has prepared us a meal and was not aware I prefer not to eat meat.

I found the transition to be very easy. I just stopped eating meat, and replaced it with meat subsitutes. Not hard at all. The groceries stores in Washington State carried many more vegan/vegetarian options than the ones where we live now, so it is more of a challenge to shop here.

-Mike
  3. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

Mike - What?????!?!?!?!?!?!?
  4. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

my understanding is....

if you're a vegetarian, it's ok to have bacon on your balony sandwich...

if you're a vegan, it is NOT ok.

[​IMG]
  5. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I've been a vegetarian for nine years; I was vegan for two of those. Making the swap wasn't that hard for me, but with a shortage of time and income, eating vegan was a challenge. Not to mention it was harder for friends and family to accommodate.

One thing I'll say about veganism...I never caught a cold or had sinus problems when I was vegan, and now I do constantly. I felt pretty good when I was vegan, and I sometimes wish I could go back, but it's a hard lifestyle if you're on the go and don't have much money. It also takes a ton of discipline.
  6. KiDD QuE

KiDD QuE

When you were a vegan, what are good places to get something fast to eat? I'm thinking about making the switch, i just don't know how I will do while in college
  7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I don't know about where you are, but in NZ, particularly Wellington, vegan food isn't that difficult. There are a couple of food joints with vegans/vegetarians as their main customers. Other options are pizza places, just replace cheese with sauce or something.

I go back and forth between the two diets, even in the one day. Sometimes I'll have a vegan meal, sometimes a vegetarian one and sometimes I'll eat some meat if it's been prepared for me and I don't want to be a pain.
  8. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Around here, there weren't many good places. Often, you can arrange to have something whipped up or modified to be vegan for you at a non-vegan restaurant. The local supermarket carried a lot of options, as well as smaller specialty stores, so I did a lot of eating at home or making food to take with me.

You might live in a bigger community though, and going vegan is definitely worth the try. More often than not, people will be understanding and willing to work with you.
  9. IPA

IPA

I did vegetarian with some vegan for a year just to see if I liked it, I felt no different, put on weight, even when doing it 'right'(not just eating fries/ice cream). There are a ton of vegetarian places to eat here so it wasn't much of a challenge.

Went back to eating meat as part of my weight loss, more protein fewer carbs... I don't eat meat all the time but once every other day or so. Often enough to not resent the vegetarian stuff. I still have plenty of vegetarian and vegan food that I enjoy cooking and eating though. My wife doesn't eat meat so 99% of what I cook is vegetarian.
  10. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Yeah. Mike's one of the last people on here I'd peg as a vegetarian. Good for you dude. I've tried, more than a few times. I just can't maintain. Crappy willpower I guess. :(
  11. Simo98

Simo98

Only difference I can see is I'd starve to death considerably faster as a vegan that I would as a vegetarian.
  12. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Ive been a vege for almost ten years. The main difference between the two is vegans don't eat dairy. I like yogurt, cheese, ice cream and some of the faux meats (Quorn brand) too much to go full vegan.

Other than the dairy, being a vegan isn't any big deal.
  13. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I've been vegetarian for about 14 years. I don't have a strong interest in going vegan (I like eggs and things with eggs), but I have mostly cut milk out of my diet. I did it as an experiment to see if I'd be more healthy, and I've been getting sick less and not using my inhaler as much. Might be a coincidence, but sticking with it since it's easy to do...I like almond milk with cereal, and I've always had coffee black. I still eat yogurt, butter, cheese, & ice cream.
  14. MJ5150

Yes, smperry is speaking my language.....almond milk on cereal and black coffee. I always knew you were a cool guy. :)

What is your preferred brand of almond milk? We've made it a few times, but we prefer the Pacific Natural Foods when we buy it.

-Mike
  15. smperry

Media:
    Hey Mike!

I usually get Blue Diamond, but that's because my grocery store carries that one. I haven't really compared...just found out a while back that I prefer almond milk to soy milk. I've made it a couple times too. Tasted good, but don't know if it was better or cheaper.

I was just at my in-laws in Merrimack. Too bad you're not near there, as there are a bunch of good grocery stores for that kind of stuff. I still miss the great produce available on the West Coast, so I know where you're coming from.

My seven year old is pushing us to take her skiing sometime, so I expect we'll be in NH sometime this winter (unless they go when I'm teaching). I'll try to drop you a line if it happens.

M
  16. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

My girl makes her own almond milk and what not. It's so good to have someone around who cares enough to put in that effort :D

smperry, I'd say cutting dairy and using your inhaler less would be closely related.
  17. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Almond milk is great. Been a veggie who eats fish once in awhile for 3 years. Don't miss the meat, although it does make it harder to keep the weight off.

All tastes are acquired and you can change your routine in about 3 weeks if you want. Beans and rice really do it for me.
  18. MJ5150

We head down to the premium outlets in Merrimack once every couple months. We were just there Saturday.

As for skiing, we live less than five minutes from Mount Sunapee. Our son works there, so he can get you discount or free lift tickets. You all can stop by the house if you want to change/eat/warm up/whatever. Let me know.

-Mike
  19. smperry

Media:
    Oh wow, I might take you up on that! Thanks. :)
  20. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

vegan

i mostly eat at my work (i work in a vegan restaurant)

but also grocery stores and a few places around boston

avoid eating at non vegetarian restaurants because pretty much everything will be prepared with cross contamination on cooking surfaces and at this point i have a sensitive stomach and psyche.