1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

4. In addition to the drop-down search menu at the top-right of this page, you may also do an advanced search for even more accurate results. See this thread for more info

Veillette Singlecut Fretless 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Joshua, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Lookin' to shake things up at casa de Josh, so putting this unique piece up for sale.

Let's start with the main thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/veillette-singlecut-fretless-5-a-570032/

Now let's throw some new thoughts on top:

1) It's a light bass, probably low 8 pound range (maybe even a hair under?). I have no scale or I'd weigh it. :D
    2) WIDE fingerboard, 35" scale. If you don't have long arms and decent size hands you might want to pass.
    3) The Glock pre is out as I'm an all passive guy, controls are now vol-blend-tone-controls bybass. It obviously has room for a pre, a battery, and 4 controls if one was so inclined to make it active again.
    4) In the dictionary under "bass", it says to see this instrument. What I mean by that is this is not a modern, zingy sounding instrument. It is a big, deep, warm, organic sounding bass, and the highest frequencies it seems to produce would more likely be some form of upper midrange for a more modern bass.
    5) The B string is ridiculous. Expected on a 35" bass, and confirmed by this guy (me).
    6) I have 5 replacement saddles for the very unique bridge. I'm a nut for having backups.
    7) Comes with the Veillette gigbag. Nothing flashy or specifically wonderful, but an ok case.

I am the only owner (bought back in 2009), and it just came back from Veillette with a freshly leveled fingerboard. It's in great shape overall.

According to Martin Keith, these retailed for high 3K to low 4K range depending on options. Priced here at $1500 + shipping.

2. xabicho

xabicho Supporting Member

Can you post pictures?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut

Attached Files:

5. Jecodia

Jecodia

Jan 3, 2012
    That's a BEAUTIFUL bass....

6. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Thanks!

And it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

The Citron humbuckers are really beautiful sounding pickups...

7. If I get an inheritance check or something, I'm all over this...

8. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Forget about me. Save yourselves! Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    Count me in! Who do we need to get?

9. Kevin Woods

Kevin Woods Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    Veillette's are super intense fretless basses. I just got back tonight from cutting two tracks for a friend's upcoming release with my Veillette Paris. I can't believe the names who are going to be on this recording! Anyway, my buddy and the engineer were blown away by the sound of my Veillette fretless...I mean blown sky high!!

These basses are a whole new world of tone. I can't wait to get a pair of those Citron's into a new custom Veillette.

The buyer will be knocked out with this bass. I am sure of it.

Cheers.

10. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Thanks to all for the kind verbiage.

One of the distinct points about this bass (to me), is that it's a collaboration between 2 great builders (Joe and Martin) as well as the electronics from a third (Citron). That's what I call a masterplan!

11. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Disclosures:
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Hey folks,

Just wanted to chime in here - this bass was back in our shop recently for a fresh fingerboard dressing and setup.
    It was nice to see it again - it's really a happy-sounding bass.

Just a quick point of possible interest - this was actually one of the first two prototypes for the model, and the first one we completed - so, to whatever extent these might ever be considered collectible, this is actually the first Veillette Singlecut ever built.

Cheers,
    Martin

12. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Martin - thanks muchly for the chime! I'm not sure I ever knew that (or more likely it just slipped my mind) about it being the first. Pretty cool stuff!

And I got a request for some more pics, so here are a couple...

Attached Files:

13. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    And one more...

Attached Files:

14. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Had a request for some measurements so I thought I'd add them to the thread:

- center of B to center of G just in front of bridge saddles = 2 7/8"
    - same at nut = 1 9/16"
    - nut width = 1 7/8"

To the top!

15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hmm.....does it cop a good Pino fretless tone?

16. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Don't suppose you'd be interested in a trade for a 2010 Fender American Deluxe Jazz (3T-burst, bound and blocked rosewood board, N3 pickups, etc. etc.) + cash? Didn't see a trade option but my zealous lust for this bass mandated I ask anyway :)

17. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    That's a tough question - is there a specific Pino cut you're referencing for tone? I'm a big Pino fan myself. Assuming it's a Stingray fretless tone we're talking about, soloing the bridge pickup will certainly put you in a similar neighborhood (if only I could play that well!).

In truth I'd certainly consider trades, but I'm full up on J style 4s. Thanks for the offer though!

18. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Bump for an incredible bass! Veillettes are top quality instruments. Great tone and craftsmanship :)

19. 707hippie

707hippie

Jan 13, 2013
    What would you look for in a trade

20. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Many thanks, and I agree 100%!

I already have a bass or 2 in my sights, so the only items I'd be interested in are things that would sell quickly.

Cheers!

21. tjhill

tjhill

Feb 18, 2005
    Santee, CA
    hello,

is this a lined fretless? also do you have any sound samples?

thanks,

t.j. hill