1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Velcro??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by boomboom4200, Jan 5, 2014.

1. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

Did some searching,cant find any info

whats the norm?which part of the Velcro goes on the board,and which part of the Velcro goes on the pedal? hook side on pedal or hook side on board,
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't matter functionally. But, knowing TB, I bet there are some really strong opinions on the subject.
  3. BooshBass

BooshBass Supporting Member

In response to the previous post: You're a complete idiot if you put hook side on the board. The aerodynamics totally change the frequency around your board causing more hum and hiss.

Just kidding haha.

I've always just used the velcro that came with my Pedaltrain. Gets bad mouthed a lot but my pedals have always stayed on, I'm just kind of careful when I bring it around everywhere.

I put fuzzy side on the board mainly because most of the pedals I've bought have hook side on the pedal. Sometimes if the velcro used by the previous owner is compatible with the Pedaltrain velcro I don't have to remove it and put new velcro on.

Doesn't really matter either way tho.
  4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

It doesn't matter, but I've always done loop on the board and hook on the pedals. However i recently started using this stuff and it's really great. It adheres to itself and works like hook Velcro.

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/PedalboardTape.html

(The rest of their products are also HIGHLY recommended.)
  5. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

Whats the best velcro for Metal?

:bag:
  6. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

No velcro. Just use your own sweat and some beers.
  7. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Most people put the loops on the board and the hooks on the pedal. That makes it easier when you sell / buy pedals.

I highly recommend Industrial Velcro that you can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes. The cheap stuff can peel off the board/pedal when you leave the pedalboard in the car during hot summers.
  8. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Does anybody sticks velcro on pedals which have rubber feet? All my pedals have some rubbers and I just don't want to remove them but they will have to go to my pedaltrain board. Are there any tips how to hook pedals on velcro without removing the rubber feet?
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

carpet on the board because at some point you will need to clean it and you can't vacuum velcro.
  10. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

I tried it but the feet where to big and I couldn't get the velcro to reach the board
  11. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Just pull them off. If you need to put more on they can be purchased from a hardware store.
  12. djaydjay

djaydjay

and I would add that hooks tend to collect dirt, you don't want that on the "open" spaces between your pedals.
  13. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/PedalboardTape.html
    watch the video of the guy doing jamoriquis pedal board good trick
  14. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I've been using the Pedaltrain Velcro...
    I'd say it's a medium duty velcro.
    Noticeably better than the cheap commercial stuff (the loops don't fray)
    But not as heavy duty as the industrial stuff (easier to rip the pedals off the board).
    Since I move my pedals around fairly often, I like the medium duty Velcro.

Of course, the bigger the pedal, and the more Velcro you use, the more it stays on.
    I covered the bottom of a Zoom G3 with it, and it's impossible to get it off the board without 'shoe horning' it with a popsicle stick or credit card or something.

Oh yeah, I put the hook side on pedals, cause I like my pedal board nice and soft.
  15. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Not all velcro is alike. The industrial velcro has short hooks and the hoop side is very dense. The non-industrial velcro has much longer hooks and much less dense hoops. I've found the non-industrial velcro to be harder to remove because it takes a longer pull to free the bigger hooks. The two types are compatible, they do stick to each other, but not very strong. The short hooks of the industrial velcro have a hard time grabbing the loose hoops of the non-industrial velcro. And the long hooks of the non-industrial velcro have a hard time pushing into the dense fur of the the industrial velcro.

I've vacuumed the hoop side velcro on my board. It's just like carpet and it needs cleaning whenever possible, when the board is broken down.
  16. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

I use a can of computer duster to get all the little particles out from the hooks and nooks and crannies on my board. If I'm re-arranging my stuff and everything's coming off the board then I vaccuum
  17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Hmmmmm. I never thought of that. Plus, little carpet samples are easy to come by so replacement should be easy. Good thinking.
  18. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I use that and packing tape to get the inevitable hair / threads that get stuck in the hooks. Put the tape on, use your fingernail to get it into the grooves and it pulls everything out. You end up with brand new looking velcro.
  19. evanoverdrive

evanoverdrive

If you guys are looking for any kind of rubber feet, Velcro, wheels ,screws, ect..The hardware section has every single rubber feet/ bumper known to man. The adhesive and tape section has Velcro from industrial to lightweight and the materials handling has a million different wheel options for cabs ect..I use this a lot for all the hard to find bits that loical hardware stores might not have.. Might be helpful......http://www.mcmaster.com/
  20. erigod23

erigod23

I thought it made sense to put the hook side on the board. Then after a while, it had picked up every single piece of lint or dirt in the room and looked filthy. Changed it to the loop side and now it's all clean.