1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Veneer ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chuck norriss, Nov 16, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

I have dried veneer that's not exactly flat but very thin & pretty. I'd like to use it for some small projects. What can be done to get the lumps & wrinkles out? It is it too late? Will it flatten w epoxy & clamps?
    It's thin to the point where I can carve it with an exacto

2. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    see if there are any books at the local library on veneer work. there are ways to flatten veneer... within reason. but you're more likely to get a handle on it from a book than here.

4. Konquest

Konquest

Dave Higham has it right. Joe at veneersupplies.com is the man. I am a regular customer of his for my furniture builds.

Spritz it with the flattener, clamp between mdf platens with paper towel in between, and change the paper towel every few hours for a day or so.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Nice veneers on that site. I paid $30 for a ton of veneers from another vendor but they're not flat w/ exception of a few. Hm. i may have to go w/ veneersuplies in the future. Their products are flat as stated on the website?

8. powerbass

powerbass

flattening veneer is part of the deal w/veneering. Once you learn how to do it it is not a easy - Konquest laid it out for you, my only addition is I use newspaper and I gradually apply pressure if the veneer is really brittle.

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Went w/ super soft 2. Shipping isn't cheap.

I read you can also flatten with a clothes iron. I'll try that if needed