1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Vent: getting P.O.'d at a CL buyer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Feb 1, 2013.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

So I sold a bass via CL, had it posted here too, an acoustic bass guitar. One guy looked at it and decided not to go for it, I took it by a reputable local shop to see if the tech thought it needed any work, the tech said it was in great shape and if it were his he would just keep it. I thought about pulling the sale but next day a guy contacts me, he's interested. We set a date to meet, he comes over, spends some time going over the bass, tries it out, runs it through an amp, it all looks good. My asking price was $400, he offers $300, we settle on $350 and done. No problem, right?

A couple of weeks later, I get this email from him. The nut is "brittle" and splintering to pieces, the bridge is "90 degrees out of place" (I have no idea what that's supposed to mean), the strings just lie slack on the fingerboard, it can't be tuned. Another shop (down the street from the one I took it to) has quoted him $85 to fix this terrible mess and he wants me to help pay for it.

Where does this come from? He tried the bass out! If it couldn't be tuned, if there were all these problems, wouldn't they have been OBVIOUS at the time? I played this bass from time to time at home and at least once at an open mic event, always loved how it played. I only sold it because I wasn't really gigging with it and decided to cut back to the minimum.

Hmmm... if he's a TBer, I suppose we'll end up repeating the argument here we've had over email. Oh well. Just feeling rather steamed tonight....

:scowl:

2. PJRL

PJRL

I think the new owner has had it to long to make a real case, IMO.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Tell him to kick bricks and you already saved him $50.00 so consider that your portion of the repairs.

4. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If he didn't know what he was doing he should have contacted someone to come along with him at the get go you took it to your tech got a seal of approval and sold it you are not Guitar Center if he wanted a warranty he should have bought a new one he waited a full two weeks to discover "something" wrong.

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Agreed. He tried it out & accepted it as is. He's on the hook for this one, now.

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

You sold it to him after he inspected it. What more can anyone do than that? This person is being unreasonable. And $85 is probably too much for what need to be done. Good luck with this situation and try to count to 10 when dealing with them so it doesn't get out of hand.

In the name of peace you could offer some $$ back. I would make it very clear that it was a one time offer and in no way an acceptance of responsibility. Just purely a friendly Gesture.

I only suggest this to keep the peace. I know it may sound like I would cave in too easy but life is way too short for me to fight over a small amount of $$. Plus I may be totally Wrong and I'm just trying to help.

9. SirMjac28

I agree with NYC but you already took $50.00 off when the guy had the stones to ask for $100.00 off the price and if you give him anything even if it is in good faith you are admitting guilt people like this think they can get away with this type of behavior and will continue to do it until someone says not here you won't and your money looks better in your pocket than his.

10. f64

f64 Supporting Member

You sold it - he bought it - end of discussion. There are way to many things he could have put it through that you'll never know. If there were things you knew about - that's one thing. If, in your mind, it was solid when you sold it end the discussion with him with a clear conscience. You're under no obligation to fund any supposed repair.

11. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Yep

12. oniman7

oniman7

Sounds to me like he put electric bass strings on it, switched to heavy gauge, or doesn't know how to tune it

13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I sold a body on eBay with flaws and stated it was blemished etc...

I said it more than once and was very clear about it ,I even photo'd the worst of it ....

The buyer was disappointed and wanted some money back ....

I never answered his message and never heard another word....

Im thinking he damaged it and wants you to pay for it....

14. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Don't worry about it and don't say another word to him. You're not a guitar shop; all sales are final on CL. If he doesn't realize this, he needs a reality check quick.

15. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I assume he came to your house ....

Now he knows where you live ....

I would have probably met at a local music store ( if you know them and would allow it) or at Starbucks etc...

16. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

He tried it and paid for it and owned it for several weeks. His problem now.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

He owns it and he broke it so he can get it fixed.

I suggest to always get a signed and dated receipt...Sold "As is", no refunds, warranties, guaranties. Don't call me, I'll call you.
    Take pictures/video of the buyer and the bass. Verify name of buyer against his/her driver's license. End of story.

18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Thanks y'all. Glad to hear I'm not on crazy pills here. The guy's last email is descending into swearing at me and saying how full of **** I am. The whole thing kills me because I was having tugs of seller's remorse in the first place, I really liked this instrument, had been jamming on it in the living room with my guitarist just a week earlier. And when one potential buyer had turned it down, I'd taken it to a shop to see if there was really anything wrong with it that I didn't realize, and rather than play auto mechanic and try to make some money by giving me a laundry list of repairs, they said it was in great shape.

19. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

It's his bass now. Sounds like he's been playing racket ball with it.

20. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

It's a as is sale, don't feel bad for him damaging it. He has no legal ground to stand on.

21. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

You don't owe him a dime! He tried it out, you negotiated on the price and he bought it. He wasn't forced into buying it...no guns were involved. Bottom line...he's out of his mind!