Venue staff hand signal fail

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SevenJacks, Mar 16, 2014.

1. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

It's 1am and our gig is at an end. A group is still dancing so we do the obligatory "Ok, one more!" and we look to the staff to make sure that's cool.
    The woman behind the bar is frantically pointing her finger in the air and mouthing "JUST ONE".
    We repeat in the mic "OK, JUST ONE!"
    We start playing.
    She starts to freak with more finger jabbing and mouthing "JUST ONE".
    We are ok with this.
    "JUST ONE MORE!" we let everyone know.
    60 seconds later the TVs go off, lights come on, people are herded out the door.
    We stop playing because something ain't right.

"I was telling you IT'S ONE", she says. "We have a hard stop at one!"

Thank god another staff told her "the universal signal for 'all done' is this", and does the hand-across-the-throat motion.

Geezus people, really?
    Do we have a 'Clueless Bar Staff' thread?
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    This is why you have the discussion with management before you go on stage. We always ask what time the band has to stop. Then we ask their policy on encores (leaving the stage and coming back). If they say no encores, we ask if we can stop about 7 minutes early so it gives people time to ask for one more before the stop time. If management says no, we just announce our last song.
  3. slipknotmaggot3

slipknotmaggot3

I had this one out in Tuscon, we were opening and apparently our set had to be cut short, so the stage hand gets my attention and does a motion that looks like a cross between unplugging one of the jacks and turning the knob down, so I turn down the amp, he looks at me again, doing the same motion so I just wave him up and he tells me that it's time to cut...me and the singer both look at this guy and shrug...at least they let us have a last song...we did educate the guy though on the universal signal...
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I remember excitedly pointing to Tony Levins rig from the crowd at a festival. One of the crew saw me and suddenly there were three guys hovering over his amp like it was going to fall over. They all kept looking at me and at the amp and back again. I don't know what they saw in my expressions, but it was enough to get them concerned.

Needless to say, his amp didn't fall over;)
  5. jelly6466

jelly6466 Supporting Member

Remember our lovely states closing time laws. Most clubs, despite a jam packed house, will say "1:00 and that's it", they need to clear folks out and clean up drinks. They get severly whacked if they have drinks out at a certain time. Local clubs are worse depending on the time, I play mostly on the north shore/merrimack valley and some are worse than others and don't even think of going 1 second over in some places in Nashua.