1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Verdine White in Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

How many have checked out his interview in the current BP? Verdine is really open about how he learned, and really credits Louis Satterfield as his greatest influence. I am really pumped about the latest EWF release. It is their first top five R&B album in thirty years. I like the current single, and Verdine sounds tight. He said he used a BB3000 that he never takes on the road for recording that album.

2. Deoindra

Deoindra Supporting Member

Yea man Im excited for the album too!
    Verdine's bass line's are mesmerizing to me, nostalgic too...
    Plus that BB3000 I heard was a beast never seen him play it though, he usually plays a Nathan East signature yamaha bass or a Fender Jazz...

3. Dr. Cheese

I downloaded it tonight and I am impressed. EWF has definitely gone back to the original formula, and they haven't sounded this good since I was in my early twenties. I'm glad they dropped the attempts to sound young, and went for what made them legends.

Verdine is smokin'!:bassist:

4. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

I, make that the wife caught and pointed me towards a prerelease promo concert on the Home Shopping Network. The album went onto my buy list

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbrad

bassbrad

I have been diggin 'Now Then & Forever this week best record in a long long time.
    Looking forward to reading the article in BP

7. T-MOST

T-MOST

Yes, Then Now & Forever is a very good CD. They sound like EWF from the 70's right down to the horn arrangements. Verdine is definately one of my early influences. I have been meaning to download the BP interview.

8. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Verdine is one of my favorite bass players. His bass lines are small compositions.

9. JimK

JimK

10. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

I ordered the album as soon as I knew an EWF was acoming. I was disappointed to find out there was no Maurice White kinda voice in there. It is missing... All the rest is there...

11. Alex J

Alex J

The new album is awesome - Verdine is really laying it down with a great tone. Hopefully that'll stop all the people whinging that he can't play.

Also just picked up their 'That's the Way of the World: Alive in '75' album. Guess Verdine would be playing that white 60s jazz or blonde telecaster bass? Either way the sound he gets is downright nasty and he really goes for it!

12. Dr. Cheese

13. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Damn you all! New EW&F? I just had to have it. But speaking of Verdine, despite his reputation as a great bassist, he's better than that. His time was like a tightly stretched cable. Taut and muscular. His release of notes was something I had never heard from a bass guitarist before he came along. It wasn't that he could play staccato or legato, it was the way he could blend them and everything in between within a single phrase. There's a serious education to be had in just studying his choices in note durations and how it can propel a groove.

14. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

At this moment of history the first album I ever bought was Gratitude in 1975 and the last is Now, Then & Forever in September.