1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Verellen Meatsmoke Preamp (pedal) - Dual Channel?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by McFarlin, Feb 8, 2014.

1. McFarlin

McFarlin yep Supporting Member

Searched enough to assume there has been limited Meatsmoke banter as of late.

Found an available dual channel Meatsmoke pre- pedal.

Anyone able to comment on the e.q. difference with the single channel? Are you satisfied with your settings once the boost is engaged?
    Until today I didn't know there was a dual channel. The idea of an independent eq for the boost channel makes sense to me. (That's how it works, right?)

After running a Walkabout for a while there are certain contexts where the sag/response isn't desirable and the limited headroom is occasionally a problem. I do need fat and warm (sometimes gritty) for a lot of palm-muted picking (sort of an aggressive surf-rock thing). And the fat/warm + crushing fuzz or OD works for a couple of other projects.
    Lately I am able to make use of the MB LMIII (dig the sustain and punch/speed vs. the Walkabout), but for a few gigs I need to add just a bit more of what I get from the Walkabout (slightly fatter, with that "thunk thunk" pick attack). When required, I can get useable drive and fuzz from a mod'd Sparkle Drive and a Hoof.

Running into the LMIII, I first considered the VT Bass, but eventually ruled-out that based on experience with the BDDI and almost every online VT sample I found.

Now I am also considering the DHA VT1-MK3, hoping it would give some sort of fat/sweet tube pre- character.
    And the Meatsmoke seems like a possibility (big hang-up regarding the $$$ and size), but I am wondering if at low gain setting it stays clean enough.
    Either of these would most likely run into the LMIII, then through a Genz NX2-212T.
    (Not trying to mimic the Walkabout here, just want a flexible alternative)

Any input?

2. McFarlin

McFarlin yep Supporting Member

After repeated visits to the same threads and sound samples, now leaning more toward the DHA.

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

The Meatsmoke pre can do everything from very clean to very dirty.
    I have a rack version, but it's got the separate EQs for each channel.

A single master EQ I could deal with, but the real important feature is the second gain/master settings for the boost channel. The volume increase between the regular channel and the boost channel is substantial at similar settings.