1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Versatility of PF350 and PF115HE?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by J03YW, Mar 16, 2014.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hi, I'm interested in this flip top amp/cab combo. I'm very sure that the PF350 will be totally fine because I've used and enjoyed Micro VRs in my local music store (I love how they grind out with more gain, very unlike a solid state!), but I'm wondering more about the PF115HE's versatility. The reason I'm looking at this and abandoning my BG250 is because of how dead and muffled the BG250 sounds- it's like the tweeter isn't even on. Can the PF115HE provide more sizzle? I'm not going to doubt its ability to supply the low end, because it's portaflex after all. However, a bass whisperer video showed me that it's capable of Marcus Miller type slap sounds when paired with a jazz bass with the tweeter on. Now I'm wondering just how many genres I could use this amp/cab with? I know for sure it would sound just at home for some Tame Impala tunes because their bassist uses an ampeg, however, since I use a Geddy Lee jazz bass could I get some Rush/Yes bass tones out of this? Basically to make this question coherent, can this cab range from mellow/warm tones to more aggressive tones as well, or is it just a one trick pony?

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    If you ask here, you'll quickly find out.

3. J03YW

J03YW

I shoulda searched! Thank you!

4. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

J03YW, I feel the same way about my BG 250 as well.

I fell in love with the volume and weight of the TC, but that is about it.

It sometimes sounds like a blanket is in front of the speaker.

I'm looking into the new Ampeg and Fender 210 combo's as a replacement.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. J03YW

J03YW

That new Rumble 500 seems swanky as well, but I'm reluctant to drop the money on it until I can hear it. The BG250 just has absolutely no character to it which is a shame.

7. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

I also recently moved from a BG250 due to falling out of love with the tone….

But before that I moved from a PF-500/2x115HLF set up. At the time I was into ported-only 15's. I went with the 500 over the 350 due the 500 having more buttons and knobs and that seemed a quick way to get some different tones. To me, it all sounded in the same happy 'family', just different variations. By no means a one-trick pony, but not a chameleon. YMMV

FWIW, I recently picked up a Carvin MB15/115MB 2x15 stack and it has been killer. Super clean and a wide range of tones available, especially with my Zoom B3 in front of it. It is what I was looking for from the 2x115HLF rig. It's lighter and (IMHO) more versatile but less powerful.

8. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Yes. Definitely not a one trick pony.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Answered in the Portaflex Club thread.