1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Versatility vs Uniqueness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

When I had only one bass, versatility was very important. I wanted to get a variety of tones from a single bass. Now that I own 4, I just need one signature tone from each bass. In fact, to achieve maximum uniqueness of each bass I string each bass with a different type of strings.

I'm curious as to what your take on versatility vs uniqueness is.
  2. PSPookie

PSPookie

If I like the way it plays and sounds then it stays. If not, it goes. Uniqueness vs. versatility isn't necessarily a factor unless so long as my particular sonic needs are fulfilled.
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

My basses are all versanique.....
  4. Kenova

Kenova

G&L Tribute L2500 !!!
  5. DEbassist

DEbassist Supporting Member

I have 4 basses myself. A fretless P, a fretted P, a fretted J and a 5 string. Between the 4, I can cover just about any tone you want. Would it be awesome to have all these tones in one bass? Yessir. Possible? Sure. Would I look nearly as rockstar carrying one bass when I could be carrying 4 basses? No sir. lol

In all seriousness, I would rather have 4 individual basses that each perform their role extremely well than one bass that does all 4 mediocrely. (is that a word?) All the necessary components that would go into making it viable mean just more things that could potentially go wrong.
  6. spade2you

spade2you

Mine, too.
  7. zachoff

zachoff

For what I play it don't need to be very versatile, but it needs to nail the tone I want. So, I found sort of unique basses that do it (old Yamaha BBs). I tried a Fender P but they're a bit too mellow.
  8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

I love unique basses, but the basses that I custom order are Uni-Versal ;) (unique and versatile)

I want GREAT (even if unique) tone to start with, yet I want features that do not inhibit/compromise the tone, but allowing for a range of tones or even expand the tone(s) of the bass in use
  9. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I'm a slave to both uniqueness and aesthetic.

I will buy a cool looking bass on a whim if it can do at least 1 tone REALLY well.

I even have a sort of swiss-army bass, but i still tend to use the unique ones more often, especially if they field THEE tone i need for that gig.

Case in point... I'm gasing harder for a Fender Mustang right now more than ANY other bass i've ever wanted. :crying:
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I like instruments with a lot of personality. The elusive versatile bass more than often feels bland to me.
    What I aim for is basses with a distinctive tone that still can easily be used in many styles.
  11. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

This is a very interesting topic.

In the last two years I've constantly been changing basses. I had (and still have) no money for multiple basses and was looking for something versatile and unique at the same time. At one point, I had a 5 string Warwick. The uniqueness of the Warwick's tone was interesting in an original band, but covering some Motown with the Warwick totally killed it; it sounded so out of place. At that point, I didn't have band, so I traded the Warwick.

It's also the case for amps. IMO, I rather have one good sounding "unique" amp than a Line 6 preamp that does everything "poorly," for the lack of a better word (in the sense that an Ampeg sounds better than the Ampeg in the Line 6).

The topic makes me think of Stuart Zender / Jamiroquai / Mark Ronson. When Zender was in Jamiroquai, his Warwick sounded in the right place. But then again, I don't think Jamiroquai's latest album, which is awesome by the way, would have sounded as good with a Warwick. I do, however, think that Paul Turner's tone when playing older Jamiroquai songs live fits in. When it comes to Zender playing with Mark Ronson live, I think his Precision fits in, however I think his Warwick sounds out of place.

With this being said, I think what one really needs are a Jazz and a Precision, and from there move on to more unique sounding bass.

That's my opinion of course, and no way is it valuable. I sound like an old guy haha ;-)
  12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Part of the fun is playing the "wrong" instrument at a gig and making it work. For instance, a Rob Allen fretless is usually typecast in the "upright sound" role for jazz but I've used it on funk gigs and for some rock tunes as well. Most any decent articulate bass can work in most any setting. That said, certain tones tend to fit better in certain songs/genres. Plus you also have "the look" which sometimes can be part of the criteria.

I'd rather have an instrument I love and use that wherever I can as opposed to what I'm "supposed" to use. For years I played a Zon Lightwave fretless almost all the time no matter what style of music. And it worked very well. These days I've got a bit broader in my choice of what goes out the door for gigs, but I still stay within a few tone profiles that *I* like and think that I can make support the particular ensemble I'm gigging with.

Many would argue that a Rob Allen Deep 5 is unique but not versatile. I disagree, but that isn't going to be my first choice for a funk or rock thing unless I want to infuse my take on what the bass support should be. The bottom line is that I have my sound and my approach to playing, and I want basses that reflect and enable that. I go for a yin/yang thing, and have Rob Allen and Roscoe instruments. And just for grins I've got a Lull PJ5 passive in case I need to "look" vintage. But I don't own any JJ basses or straight P basses, or anything else for that matter. I like to minimize instruments, and I can get a couple different tones out of each depending on electronics and technique. The rest is up to me...
  13. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Interesting point, reminds me of Wooten's idea that there are no wrong notes and while improvising, the fun can come from hitting what is perceived to be a wrong note. Very liberal/modern type of thinking. I guess I'm just getting old :atoz:
  14. Sartori

Sartori

Usually I vary between two distinct tones that I like, both available on one bass. However, almost any bass is capable of several different sounds, depending on how you set the controls and how you play it.
  15. Infidelity

Infidelity

Imagine using a hofner on a hardcore metal gig! Now that's unique! :)
  16. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

What about a Double Bass at a death metal gig?
  17. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I'd rather have 2 p/j basses and 2 unique ones than 4 totally unique basses. That way you have versatility, a versatile backup, and 2 things completely different.

EX-
    1-Cheap(er) p/j backup that gets the job done
    2-Nice p/j special
    3-5+ string specialty/fretless
    4-Acoustic/DB

This is my maximum setup I'd consider and I'm a minimalist. I currently have 2 basses(well really only 1, 1 is on the way).
  18. TapyTap

TapyTap

19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I don't really have any "need" for versatility. Not in a cover band..

If recording, I can just go pick up a different bass, if sounds require.

If I really want to alter bass sounds mid-song, I can usually do it with a single knob twist or switch flip.
  20. odysseios

odysseios

Not too strange, Bob Daisley already did it with Ozzie:

and not too unique: Brian Wheat (Tesla - hard rock), Robbie Shakespeare (reggae), Chris Wood (jazz/funk), Dale Davis (Amy Winehouse bassist), Curt Smith (Tears for Fears)...