1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Very basic (I think) wiring problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ShonenCello, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I'm trying to teach myself how to swap out pots and tone caps and just do general soldering work.

I made a lot of rookie mistakes but now I'm getting good connections. And I'm getting a good strong signal from the pickup.

The problem is the volume taper or lack of taper. 10 - 8 is acting correctly 8 - 0 is all silence. This is the 3rd pot I've tried with the same result. Gibson CTS and Alpha

Obviously I'm making a basic error. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Have you seen this problem before? Any connection in particular I should look at closer?

thanks
  2. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Pot lugs should go
    Input/output/ground

Am thinking its a log pot
  3. Crater

Crater

Are you using the right value of pot? Sounds like you're using a very low value pot.

Get a multimeter, a.k.a. volt-ohm meter, a.k.a. DMM for digital multimeter. They're available for less than ten dollars, and are indispensable for electronics troubleshooting. I always try to confirm a part's value with a DMM before I install it, part of my "measure twice, saw once" philosophy.
  4. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Don't know what a log pot is, but I'll look into that.

These are the pots I'm using right now. 500k and I tried a 1meg.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/CTS_Control_Pots.html

The multimeter sounds like a good idea though.
  5. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Pardon me for getting this back to the top again.

Has anyone heard of this problem before?

The fact that three pots from 3 different makers are doing the same thing is making me rule them out as a cause.

It's either my fault or the pickup.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is frustrating.

thanks
  6. dmusic148

dmusic148

Can you post a pic of your wiring.
  7. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Yeah that's a good idea.

The whole thing is apart now (I'm routing for a second pickup).

When I get it back together I'll post a pic.
  8. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

[​IMG]
    Few different types of pots

[​IMG]
    I'm just reading it .. I think yours is a audio taper, well that's what it says on your like,
  9. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Yeah I looked into it also, all 3 pots were audio taper.