1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Very disappointing when TBers try to make more than they should on a sale

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SBassman, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I get very disappointed when I see fellow TBers try to make Much more than they should on a sale.

When a sale happens at TB, it should be like selling to family.
    Meaning, giving a superb, almost-give-it-away price.

Any time I have sold things here, I have sold them at Far Less the price I paid. It's the only way I know how.

I see people here occasionally buying something, and then trying to flip it for the original purchase price, or, sometimes, more than it. N.G.
  2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

you've noticed that also.
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I have always sold things far below what they are worth but that's my choice I don't have a problem with people making money on what they sell not everyone is in the position to lose money think about the young student with no money trying to get decent gear if they buy something that doesn't work out why would they lose money on it?
  4. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

I'm not sure I'd agree with the "almost give it away" part. I don't see anything unethical about trying to get a fair price on TB, not too low and not too high. Deliberately ripping off an ignorant buyer is pretty bad though.
  5. mjac28

If you sell it cheap it's "your" choice don't get mad at someone else for making money and if you think the items you sell off site are only being sold on Talk Bass for higher prices I have a bridge you can buy but it's called free enterprise and people can use the net to determine if your item is worth it?.
  6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Really now..
  7. nortonrider

nortonrider

I don't know you, we just happen to have found the same website on the world wide web.
    why would you think that deserves any special consideration on a business transaction?

People ain't in the gear flipping biz to break even or lose money.
  8. mjac28

+1 SBassman let me know when you have something for sale.
  9. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX Supporting Member

If someone is willing to buy it at whatever price is listed by the seller, then they aren't trying to "make more than they should". The buyer obviously wants the item bad enough to pay that amount for it. Just so long as the item received is the same as the description, it is an honest transaction. Period.
  10. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Unfortunately, we are in a free market. People will flip gear all day long for a profit. Ideally, OP's "family sales" scenario would be AWESOME, but that's not how it works. When I sell something, I sell it dirt cheap. Generally end up letting things go for 25-50% of what I paid for them, even in good condition. But I see people all the time trying to get 95%+ of new value and that's ridiculous to me, but if it sells, that's more money to them.

The only way you can combat this is to refuse to buy things that aren't a reasonable deal, but people with money are going to make your effect marginal. Greed is human nature, and even great places like TB get afflicted by it sometimes.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    For me, gear falls into two categories.

1) Gear I want to keep and use
    2) Gear I want to sell for a profit

I haven't sold anything on TB but have sold on Craigslist and Amazon. My philosophy has always been to accurately describe what I am selling and price it according to what similar items are selling for. I don't believe in selling anything for a "give-it-away price" but I do listen to reasonable offers. Everything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Last year I bought a Carvin LB75 for $250 and sold it one week later for $750. I also had a bass that I paid $750 for and traded it for a 1977 Precision which I then sold for $1,500. The buyer was happy and I was happy. Why should I lose money?
  12. SBassman

Disclosures:
    Many of you very quickly demonstrate exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I went too far with my "give it away" words, but that doesn't change the fact that we should be treating each other here as members of the same community. This should not be a place to rip every penny from our fellow TBers that we can.

If you think that's ok, great. It Is a free world.
    And I'm free to think you're not much of a person for thinking that way.
  13. mjac28

So if I'm a poor High School or College kid I should give a "family" discount that I can't afford because it looks good? I'm retired and I have money I sell my things very very cheaply but it's my choice but I wouldn't let a mint 62' P got for $500.00 because I wanted to look good for you or anyone else?.
  14. nortonrider

nortonrider

OK I edited my post to keep from offending any overly sensitive communal hippy types here on the forum.
  15. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

hmmmm....and so i should sell my stuff for way below market, because if i don't, YOU will think less of me?

boy, that's a tough one....:D

i tell you what, you do as you think fit and i'll do as i think fit....and we can both use the resource of TB as we mutually see fit....'K?

[​IMG]
  16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

What peeves me off is people flipping stuff for slight profit on TB.
  17. SBassman

Disclosures:
    Forget the way below market. I'd be happy if I saw the end of:

- People with plenty of disposable income, buying frequently, then quickly flipping - adding to the original cost.

- People buying when there are blow outs, then selling later at the original non-blowout price.

If you can sleep at night doing things like that, great for you.
  18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    The only thing I get disappointed about is when TB'ers are misleading or "forgetful" about the condition of things. I buy and sell on TB because I EXPECT it to be a refreshing change from the craiglist circus or the ebay great swindle. A higher level of integrity and humanity is my only expectation here. I also look here for unique gear that doesnt show up on places like ebay. people can price things however they want, and they will or will not sell for that price because thats how markets work. I have no "bond" with 99% or the 213,000+ members here, but I have in the past and will in the future give special "buddy prices" to certain members who I have an affinity for. I dont try to get every penny I can out of whatever I sell, but I do sell things for a price I think it will sell for in a reasonable time and current values. That price is normally less on talkbass than if I were to list it on ebay (because of the fees) or if I were to list it on craigslist (because of the idiots!), but a little more than what I would sell it to a close friend for. I have bought gear over the years from multiple sources for killer deals. Some Ive passed on the good deal, some Ive sold for what they were worth because I was only selling it out of need, but even if it wasnt out of need that is still fine to do because I, like many of us, finance my gear purchases with gear sales. I do have a personal ethic that if I get a sweet deal on TB and I eventually resell it at its true value for what would be a profit I sell it elsewhere. If I sell it on TB I sell it for what I purchased it for. I only buy gear I want to actually use, Im not a "commercial flipper", and I tend to avoid sellers that seem like they are. Some gear I have for a few weeks and realize its not for me, some for years. Some things go up in value in that time, some go down. The important point is that the true condition of each thing is fully and honestly disclosed... Im still sore about a few members who failed to disclose obvious flaws, or completely understated them, or were downright misleading and didnt have the inclination to even address it. THAT should not ever happen here.
  19. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Two thumbs up! This is my feeling as well.
  20. mjac28

+1 Hey Kid I think we just bonded sir you are preaching the gospel. I'm still missing a pedal I bought on Sept 1st it's in the shop getting fixed it was supposedly in new shape only used a couple of times......
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.