1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Very Early Punk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mellowinman, Feb 25, 2014.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman

Is this the earliest Punk Song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINOU2zh6Ac#t=49

Or is that not quite Punk? Proto-Punk?

One of my favorite early Punk songs is by a British band not usually associated with Punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0KH6QWmhrU

And of course, you have these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo35O1AJOfg

And the first real legends of Punk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJIqnXTqg8I

The YouTube video is mislabeled "proto-punk." No WAY were the Stooges proto-punk. They WERE a legit punk band.

Now we all know about the real punk movement that sprang up a few years later, but what are some very early punk songs you like, or know of?
  2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I often see The Sonics referred to as the origin of punk/garage rock, but their riffs and song structures were straight-up old rock n' roll, just muscled up a bit. I would say The Stooges were the original punk band.
  3. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I discovered the Sonics in a used record store around '80. It really blew my mind that they played Louie Louie in such a heavy dark manner, and I-bIII-IV instead of I-IV-V. In college our band played Cinderella and the Sonics style Louie Louie. I imagine they influenced a lot of early punk bands, but I think they had their act together too well to be punk.

They have done some recording and touring lately, after 40 something years off. One of their best new tunes, really raw and crunchy, The Vampire Kiss.
  4. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

I'm sure some will say this is surf music, but for me punk is about attitude and aggression, and this has it in spades:

5. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

The Stooges recorded "I Got A Right" in 1972. There was nothing that sounded like this at that time. Compare this song to anything else that is said to be the origin of punk and you decide.

6. BMizar

BMizar Perpetual Beginner Supporting Member

Death came out in 1974 and they are amazing old punk rock.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

MC5's first album came out Feb 1969, The Stooges' came out August 1969. Both bands came from the same town, same scene, playing on bills together, and pretty much laid to waste other music that was being released at that time.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I always think when you hear descriptions of the early Who shows, and the level of aggression and violence they had during their sets and with their simple 3 chord arrangements at the time they pretty much qualify as proto punk during that era.
  10. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

Detroit and MC5, yeah what a great band and Iggy. The thing is there were bandd breaking out all ovet in the early 70's...Im not sure if we will ever be able to identify the first recorded punk song. ...MY buddys friend have been a Detroit videographer and has tons of thr oldDetroit scene up on youtube. Ill try and get a link.....
  11. dalkowski

dalkowski

"Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil is an outstanding chronicle of the era and the music. Check it out.
  12. pica

pica

Some people call the MC5 a punk band. Think they started early 70's, maybe late 60's.
  13. 10cc

10cc

Now we're doing something! This is awesome I'm glad someone mentioned "Death" if you haven't seen the documentary you have got to hear the story "Amazing"!

Sonics and MC5 and The Stooges!

Here is some old obscure punk from Texas:
    Legionaires Disease Band

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMUhvBM888&app=m

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-03...ire-s-disease-band-gone-but-hardly-forgotten/

I've also posted a very humorous thread called "Iggy's rider or stage requirements or something of that nature if you get time read it, it's hilarious.

Again great topic!
  14. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

A lot of early British mod rock had a proto punk attitude. I always think of The Kinks "You Really Got Me" & The Creation "Making Time". That "Death" documentary was cool, I really like what those guys were doing.
  15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

For my money, the Ramones (who started in 1974) were the first punk band, and the Sonics, Stooges, MC5 and a few others were proto-punk. The Ramones really stripped songs down to 2-minute blasts in a way those before them generally didn't. (Not that song length is everything, of course.) This is all subjective, YMMV, etc.

But certainly, the early Who and Kinks, as well as the Velvet Underground, were all important influences.

Death is a great band, but sadly, very few heard their music until the reissue a few years ago.
  16. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Yep. That one is sitting on my shelf in good company. Fun book!
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

IMO, the true early punk bands are lost to history as no major label would record what they saw as rank amateurs with bad attitudes making noise rather than safe, saleable music in the pre, anyone with an iPhone could be a music producer days.

From what I understand about punk, it grew out of a serious desire to be everything the music "establishment" of the day was not, so once a band got any recognition outside their block or town, they were no longer being true to the punk credo of screw the world, we don't give a $@(% what the rest of the world thinks about us.

The way I see it, there is no true punk music recorded. There is a lot of teenaged angst, frustration, and anger on tape that is called punk, but no self respecting punk would claim it because that is buying into everything punk was fomented to be against.

To me, the genre of punk music is strictly an invention of the music industry and is a safer, more marketable version of the real deal.

The only people who can discuss the coolness of any true punk band would be those who were standing in the crowd when a real punk band did it's thing. I'm reluctant to say played, because so many punks had no idea how to do that, in the conventional sense.

If anything, genuine punk was the precursor to noise.
  18. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

No punk was not a pre noise fun.
  19. dalkowski

dalkowski

Perhaps not all of them. Check into the "Back From the Grave" compilation series on Crypt Records.
  20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Great compilation series. Lots of those early punk/garage bands just recorded one or two singles for a regional label and that was it. Either the bands broke up or the labels went broke. Crypt Records and Norton Records have done a great job of putting together comps of some really obscure bands.